rubber armor for 400D to improve handling?

marcomariano

i have the xt and found it small for my hands. instead of the body armour i got the battery grip. the addition of the grip made the xt very comfortable in my hands - there is now enough room for my bottom two fingers to assist in the holding of the camera. to me it made the world of difference. but i guess the best thing to do is go to a camera store and try them out.

"i got the battery grip. the addition of the grip made the xt very comfortable in my hands - there is now enough room for my bottom two fingers to assist in the holding of the camera. to me it made the world of difference."

-------kind of makes you wonder why they didn't design it right in the first place?

<i>"kind of makes you wonder why they didn't design it right in the first place?"</i>

<p>

Speak for yourself there "big hands". [/joking]

<p>

Seriously though, I'm a small guy and the Rebel Xti fits me just fine. Yes, it's smaller than my 5D, but the size difference is really of no consequence to me. In fact, the compact size is specifically why I bought it.

so true Wayne. i purchsed my xt used from a friend so i wasn't comparing it to other cameras. if i had gone to a store to buy one new i think i would have passed after holding it for the first time.

but i guess canon wants to sell to small hand people also.

The Battery Grip improved the handling on my XT 100%. I also like having the extra controls in the same place when i am framing horizontally. As for the questions on why Canon did not include this in the original design, it is simple economices, add $200, and it will compete with the 40D even more then it does now.

[[kind of makes you wonder why they didn't design it right in the first place]]

I have thin hands but not small and have found the XT (which is nearly the same as the XTi) to be easy to adapt to. Coming from an Elan 7, it was certainly an adjustment but it is not a problem. I know the 30D/40D line does fit my hand better but that doesn't mean the XT is not unusable and some people have suggested in other threads.

The camera is also a perfect fit for my wife who uses it 50% of the time. This was certainly an important consideration when we were DSLR shopping. Given the market segment the XT/XTi is geared toward, it's not surprising the grip is smaller.

The Rebel series is called the Kiss in Japan and was originally marketed to women, hence the

cute name and red lips logo. Of course a name like "Kiss" wouldn't play so well in the USA.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I am reasonably big, but am confortable enough with the drebel as it makes for a good travel camera. I'd be happier if it were a little larger and certainly cameras like the Pentax K100D show that you can have a reasonable grip while maintaining a very compact size.

I wish Canon would look at what their competitors are doing more often. It is also probably time they dropped that silly rebel name.

I have large, basketball-palming sized hands and I'm adding another vote for the battery grip. The battery grip and the 17-55 EF-S lens combine with the XTi to complete a very comfortable unit. It also still neatly fits in a little Tamrac carrying case with all of my extra CF cards and my 10-22 EF-S lens. I also found it a little too small for comfort without the grip. After handling it in the store (pre purchase), I was afraid that I was going to drop it if I didn't have the battery grip on it.