Following up on inquiries from prospective clients

jlharris

I've gotten a few e-mail inquiries from brides looking for a photog for their

weddings who have seen my website or an advertisement in a local forum or

whatever. They usually email me asking a question (something like "I really like

your pictures and I'm interested in hiring you for my wedding! How much are your

prints?" or something like that), which I answer promptly, then I don't hear

back from them.

As I'm pretty new, I've tried to price myself slightly lower than more

experienced photographers in my area, and I'm still trying to find the right

ways to market myself. Lately I'm thinking that I should be following up when I

don't receive an email back from these initial exchanges. So here come the

questions.

How long should I wait after responding to a potential client's initial email

before sending a "Hi! Just following up on our earlier emails! Have you chosen

your photographer yet?" message?

If someone responds that they've gone with another photog, is it appropriate to

inquire why they've made that choice? Not to try to undercut or steal them away,

but rather if I get several people telling me they went with someone cheaper, or

someone who offers a service I don't, I can reconsider my pricing or service

offerings in the future.

When I get that first email from an interested bride, should I be meeting with

them in person to answer their questions rather than answering the question in

email?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Joe

Hi Joe

Definitely meet them in person.

Respond to the query with something like "many thanks for your interest in hiring me. Before making a decision on hiring I think it is important we meet. Photography is a big part of making sure your memories of the day are recorded and getting on with your photographer is a part of that that can't be established over email! My prices are very competitive for the area and I would be delighted to show you some samples when we meet and to give you my pricelist. Is next Wednesday good for you?" [ That's not perfect but it's been a long week :) Close the email with a date suggested rather than a "when would you like to meet".]

In person is the key to building a relationship right from the start - I had a couple tell me I was the first photographer to smile and laugh with them when I met them and that they'd made the decision to hire me on the basis of that, pretty much before they saw my work (strange but true) - that "do we like each other?" cannot be established except face to face. It's also an important vetting process for you - I've turned down couples having met them because I am obviously not what they are after even if they've not realised that :)

Joseph, to second what Steve has said, the number one purpose of your website or

marketing or whatever, is to get the couple to meet with you. That is the goal... you are

not going to make a sell or commitment with email or an ad. All of your marketing should

be aimed to get the person to meet with you. THAT is where you will build the relationship

and be able to show your samples.

You seem preoccupied with pricing. You must not keep lowering your prices thinking that

is what is costing you business. There are always cheap photo jerks out there that will

undercut your pricing, do not lower yourself to their level. It is a double edged sword.

Brides who are seeking quality in their photography will see cheap prices and write you off

immediately as "no good". You cannot price yourself totally beyond the range of the better

photographers in your area, but GET OUT of the mindset that EVERYTHING revolves around

pricing. There are always going to be those whose only concern is price, and to heck with

quality and service... I don't think you really want to structure your business to only

support these clients. If you keep swimming in mud, that is where you will stay.

The sample email reply Steve gave you is perfect. You want to build a raport with them as

much as possible. But don't simply send them a price list. Many times brides will ask about

pricing simply because they do not know what else to say. Give them a little education

about photography, and specific reasons WHY they should hire you and what you bring to

the table as compared to an amateur.

The meeting is another topic, Some quick tips. DO have very nice samples to show, at

least two albums of different weddings, and some individual portraits also. And no small

portraits... at least 16 x 20. Most people think of an 8 x 10 as "big". Let them see a

properly sized and elegantly printed and framed bridal portrait. It will mark you as above

an amateur. I also have a couple of gallery wrapped canvas prints for display.

Be confident in how you speak and let them see you know what you are doing and are

proud of your work, and will do the same for them.

This could go on forever, but maybe that will give you some things to consider.

Best of luck to you.

Do you have your prices on your website or ad? It sounds to me like the e-mail inquiries you've been getting are for the purpose of finding out what your prices are like. In the days before e-mail, it would be the first question on a phone inquiry after the pleasantries. Much was written about how to circumvent answering the price question right away, in an effort to draw the prospect out and get them involved in revealing their wedding plans (read budget). Some suggested getting a meeting out of the conversation before revealing the whole pricing plan.

Nowdays, e-mail is the main form of communication, and e-mail is much harder to control "your way" because it is easy to cut someone off by not responding. You could still stall giving specific prices, but only if you really wanted to spend time pursuing a prospect only to find they really don't have the budget. However, you could send one round of no-price information just to see if you get a response--something like what Steve wrote above. In person is always better.

As for how long to wait, I would send a follow-up e-mail within a week or two. When brides get moving on locating a photographer (or any vendor), they normally move fast. It is true that where you make contact in the stream of contacts the bride makes, has a bearing on the impression you make on her. That is why some photographers/studios try to be the last one a bride sees, so they can exert more sales pressure on her.

I sometimes ask prospects who go with someone else why they did so. You will get honest answers sometimes, but more often will get some response that isn't really the truth, especially if the real reason is because they didn't like you or your images.

Joseph,

I get lots of calls and inquires about my services and I direct them to my website. I am one that post my prices because I do not want any surprises when the B&G walks into my studio. Usually they are well informed and ready to sign.

I know I will get hammered for saying this, but if your folks are going to your website and enjoying your portfolio, why not share a little pricing with them. You do not have to reveal a whole price list, but maybe add a starting point or a price range. I list 6 packages on my site, but I offer much more. I always make more then what is listed because once the B&G meets me and see the quality of my work and the other products that I offer, they feel comfortable buying. The bottom line is, you have to get your potential clients to meet you before you can make a sale. If you can not do that, then your great website is just that, a great website.

George