Photographing Mermaids with the K10D

morgan lee

Last weekend I went to Weeki Watchee to take photographs for my web site,

www.realfloridaphoto.com

Though I got several photos I like regarding composition, I was frustrated by

the exposure and color. My question is, "how would you have taken this

photograph?" It was taken sixteen feet undergound through very-thick glass

looking at performers in a natural spring that feeds/creates the Weeki Wachee

river (so, yes, the fish is just a fish hanging out, not part of the show).

I presume this question is basically, "how would you photograph subjects in an

aquarium lit by natural sunlight?"

Any input from what lens you would use to exposure settings and the myriad of

other options on the K10D are greatly appreciated.

~Morgan<div>00NvXX-40825884.jpg.782f77bcf189181eff7635479bf09000.jpg</div>

Sadly I can not tell you from my own experience Morgan ;-)

But you did use a polarizer and pressed the lens as directly as possible on the glass? Depending on the mermaid distance I would have tried

using a strong external flash off camera at 45 degree from the side directly on the glass as well but I'm not sure if that really works in a aquarium.

I don't know that I would want a flash, at least for this one. I like the rays of light cutting

diagonally through the water.

Too many variables you can't control. Shoot it RAW and just wait for nice highlights to appear

before you.

This one is after the auto levels. It's a channel mixer adjustment layer set to greyscale that is

on top of a hue/saturation adjustment layer with the hue set to -125.<div>00Nvib-40834384.jpg.c103c4dcec87b6d67b995b8f1a160b84.jpg</div>

BTW: Glare on the glass is about the only thing you MIGHT be able to control. At least for

this one, you did a good job of avoiding it. As it was said before, get right up on the glass.

A polarizer might help, but you will loose more light because of it. You might shoot some

with and some without to see how you like it...

Markus: I have not used a polarizing filter. Would that cut down on the glare on the bubbles and the highlights? I'll have to get one anyway. Shooting in Florida gives me a lot of bleached-out skies. As for relflection off the glass of the viewing window, it was in ideal circumstances. The theatre itself is dark while the performers were in direct sunlight. I could not be directly next to the glass because we were seated in an auditorium and this was an actual performance. Also, flash was not allowed.

Michael: Sorry about the annoyance of the bra.

Dave: LOL! As soon as you said that I had a vivid mental image of a little bra icon planted with the other Photo Shop tools right near the red eye icon.

Matthew: Thank you for taking the time to play with my photo. I was heading in that direction and have already done a few in the series in black and white. Fortunately a lot of them have those slanted rays of sunlight that beg to be brought out with B&W processing.

Thank you all for your responses and ideas.

~Morgan

I have some shots from L'Oceanographic in Valencia, same exact situation.

The comment about an external flash is correct. It needs to be mounted away from your camera, pressed against the glass as well, and, triggered with a wireless remote. I was not lucky enough to have this setup when I was there but I did get to observe a photographer working on some promotional stuff do so.

And a polarizer does help, though, it's not as apparent when your right up against the glass as your minimizing the light hitting the glass in front of the lens, thus eliminating the need for a polarizer in the first place.

What I have found is that, unless you're in the water, the magic happens in post processing. When I get home this evening I'll post some examples.

Nice shot, Markus. Reading all of these responses made me realize several things:

1)Photography (at least what I would like to do with it) is not just a camera and a choice of lens. I have a lot of gear added to my shopping list now and an even longer list of books to read on things like Lighting and Flash Photography.

2) Location, location, location. As true for photography as it is for real estate, this one has bit me before: If your'e going to shoot an event, at least get there early and sit in the front row. Preferably, do MORE than that and make friends at the location which leads me to number three:

3) My two New Years resolutions are A) Visit as many unique locations in Florida as possible and photograph them well and B) Work on what I am beginning to think can be the most important "equipment" in a photographer's inventory: my personality. If I were more gregarious at Weeki Wachee, I could have explained how I am out to photograph and promote the "real" Florida and probably gotten nice portraits of mermaids and photograph opportunities not usually given to a regular "guest" of the park.

4) An oldie but a goodie in the digital-photographer's bag of tricks, when life hands you lemons, make lemonade: when a shoot hands you foggy, bleached, photos, turn them into art.

I got beautiful people underwater performing a great show and will post the results soon on:

www.realfloridaphoto.com

Jennifer, my wife, was shooting with the Pentax Optio T30 and this shot (wider than I could shoot with my 50-200mm lens) illustrates what conditions I was shooting under. Hope this helps explain my dilemma and thank you all again for your input.<div>00NwH0-40848284.JPG.f1c56af36f1e433f3101d55d9136f9dd.JPG</div>

Have you ever seen the movie "Catch Me If You Can?" It's Abagnale's principal that the only things people know about you is what you tell them. Not that I'm encouraging dishonesty, but it is amazing what you can get away with when you have a home made laser printed badge hanging around your neck.

As far as personality goes, you are absolutely right. That's the real differnce I see between good photogs that are poor and good photogs who are rich.