645J: Stupid Question

grain

Hello again. I'm too old to be asking dumb questions but here you go. I ran my first test roll through my

new (to me) Mamiya 645J. Looks good. Now I have read about the spacing issues it supposedly suffers.

Mine is perfectly even from frame to frame, but: I noticed the frame numbers on the rebates of the

HP5+ run to 16, but the camera takes 15. I understand it's just one frame, but the huge gaps between

frames, well over a quarter inch, make it obvious that it indeed could easily fit 16 on there. Is there a

tweak that will make it actually do so?

Regards, Frugal with Film in Gloucester (Ma).

Don't beat yourself up for asking perfectly sound questions ;)

I wouldn't worry about it. When I've seen spacing issues, it's usually that frames overlap, or the spacing is widely uneven due to gears slipping. Someone might be able to tweak the camera so that you could squeeze one more image in there, but when you start messing with the spacing, increasing the tolerance that much, it can lead to problems. It's good to have the 1/4 inch buffer to guard against overlap, which of course can ruin two frames. I believe the counter only sets to 15 on the J with 120, so that might be a problem as well. The 645J is a great but older camera, if it's working as designed I'd be happy and leave it at that. If you need more frames, investigate the 220 inserts.

Cheers :)

The Mamiya 645 120 inserts designed for the manual focus bodies (645 Pro TL, 645 Pro, 645 Super, M645 1000s, M645, M645J) are only designed to go to 15 frames. Likewise, the 220 inserts will only go to 30 frames. Some have claimed it was done to improve film flatness. That is, the curled edges would always sit between frames rather than in the image area. The 645 AFD went to 16 & many complained about film flatness problems. However, nearly every other 645 camera will give you 16 frames on a roll of 120.

• 1 month later...

My m645 gives the 15 on 120 and 30 on 220 as well. I also thought it had a problem. I don't know if I should be happy or not losing a frame by design.

I least I found out before making efforts towards correction of the missing frame.

It seems odd that the counter still reads up to 16 and 32.