Hi Everybody. I am in the market for a full frame body. My wife and I shoot

weddings, Portraits and the ocasional Sporting event (Soccer & Hockey). My

budget is about $2,000. I have found a few 1Ds's on Ebay for about $1900. My

question is: is this camera worth it? Is the prestige of owning a 1D (even if

it is used) all that is really driving me here? I know it is only 11

megapixeles to 12 on the 5D. But is the 1D faster (fps) than the 5D? I need a

good workhorse camera which one would you choose? Thanks in advance for your

time and responses.

The 5D is obviously smaller than a 1D/DS but lacks the extra weather sealing, although it is indeed a tough camera. Keep in mind also that the charger for the 1D/1Ds series sells for about $200-300, and the batteries are different from the 5D/xxD series. Also, the 1DS MK II can use both CF and SD cards, which some wedding photographers seem to like as an internal backup system. All said, I've found the 5D to be a relatively compact and robust FF camera.

The 1Ds remains a legendary camera. But taking its age into consideration, the 5D is clearly the more modern of the 2. The magapixle difference is minimal, and so is the burst rate.

Maybe you should wait until the PMA 2008 in a few weeks, chance are Canon will announce a new 5D (if not 2) level full frame with the newest features. There's a fair chance that the new camera would be priced around $2000. In fact, I'm waiting for that announcement right now.

All the images in my portfolio were done with the 1Ds, which I had bought as a backup for

my 5D. When I started using the 1Ds in the summer it was the 5D which then became the

backup camera and was later sold.

I spend a lot of my time up to my knees in water on various beaches with the 1Ds on a

tripod - it's environmental sealing is a must for me.

Apart from that, it's near perfect white balance and overall superior IQ make it the camera

for me.

I have used my 1Ds since a few months aftet it was introduced a few years ago. It has

never given any problems... seems tough as a brick.... and .... weighs like one too. With a

big L lens on plus a 580 flash, you have a heavy handfull of camera. I do weddings with

mine, and after a few hours, my arms are sore for a couple of days.

I do think the noise issue with the 1Ds is something you should consider. After ISO 400,

photos can begin to really lose quality, the 5D is definitely a better choice in the high ISO

noise regard.

So if you want something TOUGH and don't need extremely high ISO speed, go with the

1Ds. If more easy handling and better high ISO performance is what you need, go with the

5D

What David Wogan said. Pragmatically, yes, the 5D, esp if you're going to need to run light and shoot in the dark. Fwiw, i've had two 5D's and sold them once I began using the 1Ds. Really special files. The 5D epitomizes the smooth digi-look. The 1Ds often makes me feel like I'm shooting slide film again ...