Support for D200 + 70-200

chanh_nguyen1

You don't have to use a very big and heavy tripod for the combo of the D200 and 70-200, but the answer also depends on where you are going to use it. For example, if you are going to use it outdoors in a wide-open area under windy conditions, you might consider a heavier, more solid tripod. Wind can blow your set up over, and your expensive lens may hit some rock very hard ....

As far as a light tripod, you need to go with carbon fiber. Aluminum will be heavy.

I have the Markins M10. I have the, I believe now discontinued, left handed model. I have an RRS lever clamp on top.

I picked the Markings over RRS and Kirk because a lot of people I talked to remarked that the Markins was smoother, had a better weight/capacity ratio and the finish of the ballhead was amazing.

I like the Markins a lot and highly recommend it. The left handed controls make everything easier.

There's just no other head with the strength to weight ratio of an Acratech "ultimate". Steady with a 500mm f4, let alone a 70-210mm f2.8.

I use a Hakuba carbon fiber, but it's a discontinued model. If I had to pick a carbon fiber today, it would probably be an Induro CX series. As maneuverable as a Gitzo Explorer, but much sturdier when you have the column in vertical mode.

D200+70-200VR is no problem for the Markins M10, you don't need a bigger ballhead. With the M10, I think I never have to buy a new ballhead. With up to 40kg load U guess it beats the Arcatech Ultimate wight/strengt ratio, but the latter could be very good cheaper alternative. Though, all the top ballheads from Markins, Archatech, Kirk and RSS will do.