shaun_carter

i visited the rehearsal of an upcoming wedding to scope out the place. nice

room but i'm wondering if i should change my flash strategy. the lighting is

really low unless you're standing under one of the spot lights. i don't think

i'm going to be able to get away with no flash at all. normally i use the

omnibouce on a stroboframe flash bracket with the flash head tilted 45

degrees. is that a good idea in this situation? the ceremony will take place

on the floor where all that stuff is hanging from the ceiling. looking for a

little advice...thanks!<div>00NyF7-40897584.jpg.e1efba1519dbad4134aeb82d0d530121.jpg</div>

Why chance it? You need to take a few exposures of one or two people, with a try at bouce-off-the-cluttered ceiling, and with your regular flash setup. That should make it a lot more clearer for you to pick the best method before the wedding.

Try Gary Fong's whail tail. It is not the greatest product but it works in certain conditions such as this. Instead of bouncing off of ceiling you get bounced light from the diffuser. I had a wedding in very dim light combined with very dark red ceiling that was impossibly high to bounce. It came out pretty good given the condition. Give it a try.

I think bare bulb, (or stofen), would work well in this room, but it looks like a high ceiling, which will mean you are running at or near full power. I don't think shadows from the white hangings will be too bad here. You can see the shadows from the spot lights on the floor, but with a large area bounce, I don't think it will be so apparent.

If at all possible, I would have off camera lights, but if not, I'd probably under expose the ambient by no more than two stops and just add some highlights with the flash. Dragging the shutter, so to speak.

As David said: If you have the ceiling in the shot, you will probably see the shadows of the "drapes".

I think that sometimes photographers feel more rushed than necessary. There is actually time during a ceremony to try more than one lighting technique. I would try some shots with available light, having my custom color balance and tripod set to go. These could be done at points in the ceremony where people are not moving around, lighting the unity candle, etc. As far as flash, I would be more concerned with the distance and position you will be allowed to shoot from, rather than a little flimsy netting on the ceiling. And how about those windows behind the action? If you are forced to work from the aisle, try to find the reflection of your flash in the window and duck down until the people block that reflection. I suppose it is not very dignified to think of the minister as your personal flash-back blocker. I wouldn't tell him.