Anybody use Lithium Batteries in speedlights?

steve_crist

I use lithium AAs in my 430EX while traveling. They weight much less than other batteries

and last longer in cold and storage. They're kinda expensive if you use a lot of flash.

I haven't a clue how long they last. Who actually counts? They never seem to wear out and

have been in there over a year without flinching. The battery makers claim 3-4 times

longer...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

This is the set up I use. The Canon 580EX and external Canon pack that holds 8 batteries.

I use the Litihium batteries exclusively. I have also done 3 full weddings on the same set,

and may could have done another, but it is not "safe" because the litihium batteries will die

IMMEDIATELY. They do not discharge gradually as alkilines. So yes, the litihium batteries

are THE way to go. I much prefer them to the hassle of rechargables. Sams Club sells a

twelve pack of the lithiums for $19. By the way, even though you may very well get 3 or

more weddings out of the batteries, still always have new spares in case they do their

instant dying trick on you!

For weddings I use NiMH in my flash and CP-E3, primarily because they recycle the flash fast, and are less expensive in the long run. But since they loose their charge while sitting around, I put lithiums in for long slack times between weddings. That way I'm ready to go whenever. Lithium AAs work great anytime, but especially for cold weather and long periods without action.

I have used lithium batteries in a number of diiferent Canon flash units and also, in my film days, in the PB-E2 booster. They work fine and are lightweight and very long-lasting. I now prefer to use NiMH rechargeables in my flashes because they are, er, rechargeable. They work fine too. Rechargeable lithium batteries use a different technology from non-rechargeable ones and are correctly described as lithium-ion batteries. The basic voltage is about double that of an alkaline/NiMH/lithium battery, so they cannot serve as a direct replacement for AA batteries on a one-for-one basis. In principle a suitably shaped single Li-Ion battery could replace a pair of AA cells. Batteries of roughly this type do exist, but I have not yet found any that fit Canon flashes correctly.

I have been using the low self discharge hybrids (Sanyo eneloop). They give the power (high current power, not total charge) of NiMh and charge retention of Li-ion in a single product. Ever since I bought my first set of eneloops for my 430EX, I have slowly replaced every gadget that needed rechargable batteries to use them. There are many other brands that make similar hybrid batteries. Please check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop for more details and a list of brands. The only caveat is that they run in 2000mAh range rather than the 2500+ for normal NiMh ones, but if you dont use the whole charge in a single day, the low self discharge feature helps more than higher capacity

All the time, light and fast recharge time.

>>>they get VERY hot when you are flashing a lot (not abuse level). So keep that in mind.<<<

because the flash is drawing way too power. It happened to my flash before and now I added external battery pack, it's cool.

I'll probably do what Nadine does and get a full replacement set of Lithiums to be used only in emergencies and keep on using the NIMH cells for normal power. I'm wondering how long the NIMH cells last? I only use Energizer 2500mah cells that are about a year old but seem to always need topping off. I've been using MAHA C-204F chargers but have just switched to a LaCrosse charger. It charges each cell individually (vs the MAHA that only charges in pairs, which could hide a weak cell).

I've had various brands (Duracell, Energizer, Ansmann, even Promaster) of NiMH batteries for at least 6 years or so, using some of them quite heavily every weekend shooting weddings. So far, none have died on me, and all are pretty much holding a good charge. NiMH batteries lose their charge pretty fast just sitting around, so keeping them on the charger until use is a good idea, as well as topping off. The charger makes a big difference in battery life, I think. I use the Ansmann Energy 16 (charges 12 AAs at once), and it is an intelligent charger. Most manufacturers say the cells can be charged at least 500 times, if not more. If you have the intelligent charger, I wouldn't worry about it. It will probably identify a weak cell immediately. Then, just replace.