Basketball

preston_harper

I am trying to get away from shooting basketball with flash (though most gyms

have poor lighting) and was deciding between lenses. I have a 80-200 2.8, but

this is hit or miss from gym to gym (bouncing between 1600 and 3200). Some

mentioned a 85 1.8 or a 50 1.4. I have the 50mm, but will this be enough?

Should I invest in the 85 1.8 (which I could also use for portraits)? Keep in

mind I shoot with a Nikon with a 1.5 factor.

Your 50mm should be great for B-ball. I have the 50mm 1.8 that I use, I plan on getting the 50mm 1.4 soon for better autofocus. The 85mm may be too long for basketball, unless you have it on a second body to catch the action coming back down the court towards you. I find that for shots right under the basket 30-35mm is the best focal length. The lighting is bad in the gyms in my area. My last game I shot at f/2.2, ISO 1250, and 1/400th.

I have a blast taking photos at kids basketball games. The games are fun, and very challenging to photograph. I have only been in two Gyms that have had ok lighting, most are like caves. I use the 85 f/1.4, but keep a 50 f/1.8 in the bag. If I can't get into position that works for the 85mm I switch to the 50mm. I have yet to be in a gym where I could be any where under/behind the basket. It's gotta be an exciting place to get shots from, and I believe Kelly has it right about using the wider lens like a 30mm.<div>00Nv1D-40810884.thumb.JPG.ce00c2686b452fe048b765b48e67cb69.JPG</div>

IMHO, for available light indoor prep hoop, either the fast 50mm or 85mm will work and the deciding factor will be camera-to-subject distance. Shorter focal length for baseline near basket, longer focal length from corners, and even longer for opposite court. Take care with focus point however due to very shallow depth of field.<div>00Nv2d-40811884.jpg.4d4a8407409407657e1998cfd43c676f.jpg</div>

Nice to hear from you, Roland.

Kelly, stick with the middle focal point as it's sure to be of cross-type (sensitive to both vertical and horizontal target) and also easier to rotate between vertical and horizontal framing. Nice catch of #10 at f2.2 and with focus in right places on his face and jersey (instead of the defender in the back.)