Indura Tripods?

d_f11

I tried this brand out at the store and was really impressed - carbon fiber

models. Less expensive than any of the "big

three"(Bogen/Manfrotto/Gitzo).'Course where they're made speaks for that.

So, can anyone share their experiance, oppinions on this dandy new line?

From what I understand, they are the same as Benro. I have had a Benro for 6 mos. or so and love it. Sturdy and light. I also, bought a Benro ballhead and have nothing but good things to say about both. They are well built and the ballhead is smooth working and has no problem firmly holding my D80 and 170-500mm Sigma lens. For half the price of the (over-priced) "big three" it is well worth it. I never understood how a tripod with just a few moving parts can cost as much as a camera like the D80 that has precision mechanisms, optics, mirrors and computer chips. They price them like that because people will pay for the name. Hopefully, the heathy competition will bring the prices down a bit.

I have used an Induro C313 tripod for most of the last year - this is the second largest

carbon fiber model they make. It has been a great piece of gear. I've used it a lot - in

Death Valley, all over the Sierra, the California coast, and much more. I don't have any

complaints about it at all.

Well, one small one... but it also tells me something about the company. At some point I

lost the center column spring-loaded hook. I contacted MAS, Induro's American

distributor, and they sent me the replacement part for free. That is customer support that I

like!

Mine wasn't "half the price" of the mainline brands, but it was significantly less costly -

still cost many hundreds of dollars, but well worth it. (By the way, I first heard about these

tripods in a positive review at Michael Reichmann's Luminous Landscape web site, where

he reported on using one in Antarctica.)

Dan

I use a C213, one model lighter than Dan. I have no complaints. I had an incident approx. 1 month after buying it. One of the largest leg tightening/releasing rubber grips suddenly became totally loose, not allowing the leg to be released or tightened. I returned the tripod to Vistek store, they contacted Induro, and Induro replaced the whole tripod for a new one. No problems since. Induro did send a return message through Vistek, advising that little effort is required to tighten the leg grips. No more than a quarter to one third turn should be required to hold the leg snug.

Induro is, or was, Benro. As I understand it, the company ran into marketing dificulties for reasons I am unsure of, and had to reform under a new name. Whether the products are made differently now, I don't know.

I also use the Induro DM12 head. It matches the tripod well. I support a 20D with 70-200f4L IS without a lens collar on the setup. There has not been any trouble locking the head with these (the heaviest I would advise for the DM12). As I tighten the ball clamp knob , while my left hand is supporting the camera/lens assembly in position, while looking through the viewfinder at 200mm setting, as I release my hold so that gravity takes over trying to pull the lens down, there is the slightest, very slightest, "settling" movement downward. This does not seem to be the ball moving in the cup, but more, the whole assembly taking on the pull of gravity. I can well imagine that the heavier versions of this line (C313, C413) would have even less of this effect. One becomes used to this trait and I make allowances for it. Of course, this is to be expected with such a leverage as this and so I plan on trying a lens collar to provide better balance.

I hike, and here in the Rocky Mountains, some clown goes and makes the same slopes a bit steeper every year! I need to travel as light as I can. But not at the expense of good gear support. This set up fits the bill.

Cheers, DK

I have the Induro CX 213. I wanted carbon fiber, felt the Gitzo was just too expensive for my amateur status. I was ready to get a Manfrotto 055 carbon fiber (my old tripod was a Manfrotto-solid as a rock but heavier than three boulders). My local camera store (which sells all three brands) recommended I consider the Induro. Yes it is "copying" the Gitzo look. But I have found it to be easy to set up, solid, light weight. I particularily like the "twist" legs as opposed to the Manfrotto "levers" to release the legs. It was $150 less than a sililar Gitzo, but about $50 more than the Manfrotto. After trying the Induro and Manfrotto at the store, I felt the Induro was easier to use and a little sturdier. I still feel that way having used the Induro a couple of months now.