I am a photographer who was just asked to do some basic architectural

photography for a new building. I finally have a OK cash flow to invest in a

decent tripod so I've been reading up on it, but all the articles I've read on

here are pretty dated (1996! whoa!) so I wanted to step into the forums and ask

for some advice!

I own a canon 40D which has a little weight to it, and I have telephoto lenses

so I know I'll need a tripod that can support weight without wobbling. Also, I

need it to be light enough that I can carry it around with me. I like to park &

wander to take pictures, so being able to walk with it is vital.

I've read a lot about the gitzo & bogen lines, are they still the best? Is there

another brand that would fit my needs better? Any advice would be appreciated, I

feel like the more I read on it the more indecisive I am on what to buy.

If you are really serious about getting a good tripod, you will need to spend AT LEAST $400. And, I would pay more attention to the head, and to get a good one, you'll have to spend $250 or more. My friend and I both use the Acratech Ultimate, and we both love it. Other good ones are from Kirk, Really Right Stuff, Arca Swiss.

Most photographers eventually end up with a ball head. You can get something pretty sturdy for not that much money in a 3-way head. But, ball heads are just too easy to use to not have one.

You can get pretty good aluminum tripods from just a bit over $100. Gitzo is Rolls Royce. Bogen is BMW.

If you are tall, or if you will be placing the tripod on low ground while you stand on high ground (tripod in the river, you on a rock), look for something that extends to well over 5' WITHOUT THE CENTER COLUMN.

If you want something compact, look for 4 leg sections instead of just 3.

If you will need to put your camera into odd positions, look for a center column that can be turned horizontal.

If you will need to have your camera VERY close to the ground, get a tripod with a center column that can be removed.

If you want something really light, get a carbon fiber tripod (though that will probably put in in the $300+ range just for the tripod).

Thanks! I hadn't read anything on the acratech ultimate before, but the reviews look good. I've heard a LOT about acra, some people swear by it and others say its overrated so I wasn't sure.

I don't need a bmw! I just need something that is good quality, are there other brands for the legs that I should consider? Or is it worth it to just invest in the big names for long term quality.

A good tripod will last you years (if not a lifetime). $150 for a good aluminum Bogen will set you up in pretty good shape.

When I was hiking in Zion a few months ago, I ran across a guy that spent less than $200 for a Taiwanese brand carbon fiber tripod - and he was shooting with a 4x5 view camera! I don't know how long it will last him, but he loved it. He previously used a Bogen, which he said was fine, but this Taiwanese tripod was REALLY small and light. So, I'm sure there are other good tripods besides Bogen and Gitzo. But, if you are serious about it, I wouldn't skimp too much.

Hi Aaron, some things have not changed all that much- as in Bogen/Manfrotto and Gitzo have the largest market because they work well and offer quality and durability and no fuss setup. You will want to get legs apart from the head I imagine. Bogen is still a value choice and this one looks pretty decent, haven't seen it in person of course.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/504849-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_055XDB_055XDB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

On tripod heads, I won't go there. Except to get the best you can afford. I do wish you well.gs

Tripods are pretty personal items like clothes some fit better than others. The lighter and stronger, easier to use the tripod is the more likely you are to use it. On the lower end a really good serviceable tripod is the 055XDB Tripod Legs (Black), with Wing-Nut Leg Locks - Supports 15.4 lbs (7 kg) $129 weighs 4.6 pounds, 70" tall, plus the Bogen 486RC2 ball head for another $69 weighs 1 pound - may be all the tripod you'll need. On the High end you might try the Gitzo GT1530 Series 1, Mountaineer Sport 6X Carbon Fiber 3 Section Tripod Legs with G-Lock, Maximum Load 17.6 lbs. Maximum Height 61.0" $480 2.5 pounds, with the Kirk BH-3 ball head for $255 20 ounces. You'll probably keep your tripod for a lot longer than you keep cameras so it may pay to get one you really like. Best to get in somewhere where you can look at some tripods and try to see what makes one more expensive than another. Good luck.

The February issue of Shutterbug (which I got in the mail a week or so ago) has a great article by Roger Hicks about "Where does the money go?" when you buy something like a Leica or a tripod. He mentions many of the factors that one faces when buying a tripod, and as usual, does a great job of it.

The main advice he -- and many others -- gives is to buy the very best tripod you can afford because the cheap ones will need replacement every few years, whereas one good one won't need replacing at all.

That said, my old Quik Set Elevator Senior (probably 40+ years old) is still going very strong, and the Bogen/Manfrotto legs and head that I bought used several months ago works like new and will probably outlast me.

They weigh a little more, which will probably improve my longevity because of the exercise I get with them, but for not all that much dough I'm all set.

• 2 weeks later...

Kat,If you're still looking for a tripod, I am highly recommending the Manfrotto 055MF3. It's a great lightweight MagFiber tripod with many great features. I can actually stand looking directly into the viewfinder of my camera without using the center column and only have to drop my head about an inch and I'm 6'-2" tall. It has sturdy, legs and only weighs about 4.5 lbs, I think. Anyway, look it up to get the specs. I did a lot of research on light tripods for backpacking before I bought this one. I bought the 055MF3 on Amazon for a little over $300 last year.

I also wanted to put in my two cents worth on a head selection. I really like the 3-D pan-tilt heads over the ball heads. Many would disagree, but I like to adjust the angles individually. Then, again I'm a landscape photographer. I would think that for architectural photography, it would be a real plus. I forget the model number of my Bogen head now but it has a nice solid base mount that would be fine for the 40D. The lever handles for pan and tilt ratchet out of the way when you're done adjusting. It's a nice touch. This head has been around for decades.