Shutter Actuation Count (How Many Shots?)

adam zyto

<a href=http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14367&p_created=1188563126&p_sid=4E58*bVi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=13783&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTU5LDE1OSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNodXR0ZXIgQWN0dWF0aW9u&p_li=&p_topview=1">From Nikon</a> on the subject...

OK, so it won't let me provide a link...here's the text from the support site:<p><i><b>Question:</b>How many times has my Nikon camera released the shutter?

<p><b>Answer:</b> There is no way to accurately tell the total number of times your camera shutter has released. While there are third party software applications designed to read a cameras shutter count, this number is not always accurate because the shutter release times may be reset by firmware updates, or reset in the Service department if certain parts are replaced or other operations are performed.</i>

This is probably too far down a thread to get an answer but here is my question anyways. All of the various methods mentioned above work on my d200 photos but none work on my d1 photos. I have read that you can not determine actuations of a d1 from a photo. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Also a friend of mine has shot more than 100,000 photos with a 2 megapixel canon a40. I have also read that you can not determine that cameras actuations with a photo. Again, can anyone confirm? Thanks.

The freeware irfanview from www.irfanview.com will also display EXIF files. Display the photo in irfanview, press "i" on the keyboard, and then clik on the "exif" button. Shutter activations will be second from last in the column. Works for jpg and nef. To set up for nef files select the "options" column, select "set file associations", and one has to add "NEF" to the set by checking the "other" box and typing in "NEF".

In all the above, I use the " to highlight the entry; don't actually type ".

irfanview will also transform "nef" files to other formats. Quite a nice piece of freeware.

Thanks Ron and Kin

Ron, I just bought my D1 through ebay, I paid 315 plus 2 new batteries for 35 from hong kong. It is hard to tell that my d1 has ever been used. There are definately a few strange things about the d1 like the antique menu system, but basically it is a great camera. I have a d200 which is a fairly big camera but I was surprised at how much bigger the d1 is.

Well, but when you use Live View, the shutter also actuates twice, doesn't it? I mean, it opens the shutter to expose the sensor and then, when you press the shutter, it closes and opens for the selected shutter speed, if I have understood correctly from what I have read (I don't own any d300 or d3... yet).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
<p>If anyone ever looks here anymore, it's not even that complicated. Open the last shot the camera took; if it's a JPEG, then, by default, it'll open in Preview on any Mac. Use Tools > Inspector, then look on the More Info > Nikon tab for a parameter called ShutterCount. No special application required.</p>