I've been selected to receive 2 free iPod Nanos!

timkeller

I suggest going to free download Ad-Aware, downloading a copy, periodically updating it (every day or so) and running it daily.

It does wonders. I see a few adds at the margins, but never anything intrusive.

google.com gave it away for free for a while. America's digital gooddess, Kim Kommando, who has a very top-rate syndicated computer-related radio show on the weekends offers it as a free download, but it's easily found in google.com by entering key words 'ad-aware free download'

The services that provide the free version, which you must update manually, also offer for a fee the more expensive self-updating versions, to the free version is sometimes hard to find, but it's wonderful.

Run scans daily, and you'll find tens to hundreds of spyware and malware on your computer that other so-called programs don't find. They have a string of computer geeks who feed them suspect code, in part because they give away their program. Also, when running the program, don't just run the 'express' (my term) scan, but run the full scan. Sometimes mal-ware is hidden away. Watch especially for things like 'browser hi-jack attempts' and any 'threat level above a '3' which is the basic level set for cookies that are simple spyware that report back your browsing habits.

I swear by it, and frankly I never have complaints. I think others who use it also never have complaints. (Of course, I also am a paying member -- subscriber -- (thanks to sponsors), and that cuts down on the assault of advertisers. But then both of you are also.

Try it!

Mikey likes it (and so do I).

(remember the old cereal commercial on US tv?)

John (Crosley)

Fred, your post is right below this one in the Feedback forum. Unless you posted it somewhere else and it got moved here (which is where it should have been posted) I'm not sure what you are talking about regarding it having disappeared.

That having been said, I'm about to delete it because we only need one thread on the subject.

I thought I posted it here, and it may have just been delayed in appearing, because it was

actually posted about 10 minutes before this one. I'm glad you've deleted it because two

posts on the same subject is unnecessary.

Can you please now address the issue for us?

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Now, to address the problem:

<p>

Photo.net users should NOT be seeing ads like these. Anytime they appear, someone should post on the feedback forum or email me. Probably both.

<p>

While we have safeguards in to prevent these ads from appearing, sometimes advertisers start with one ad that we approve, then switch to a different ad when they think we aren't looking (a Sunday afternoon for example). Our ad gurus can take care of the problems once they are brought to our attention, though in this case it may have to wait until Monday morning EST.

<p>

When reporting stuff like this, any information you can give will be helpful:

<ul><li>The browser and operating system you are using

<li>What country you are located in (advertisers can be different from country to country)

<li>What page you saw the ad on

<li>Providing a full screen-shot is always helpful.

<li>Do you keep regular on your spyware/adware defenses?

</ul>

<p>

You aren't going to get any arguments from me about talking ads. They are awful.

Websites that force me to listen to music/sound when I go to them are the worst of the internet. I don't care if it's an ad or someone's idea of cute music. I hate to be startled by some loud noise coming out of my speakers when I don't expect it.

Another vote for dropping anyone associated with this incredibly annoying ad. I don't allow popups, so maybe that is why there is no obvious way for me to "claim" the Nanos or (more to the point) find out just who is inflicting this on me.

Mac OS X (10.5) using Foxfire.

God, please kill this ad!

(Yes there is an "audio off" button, but it only works on the page once - you have to hit it

every time it pops up on a new page.)

I've been considering whether or not I want to continue with PN when my membership

expires in about a month or two. Audio ads like this one may make my decision easier. :-)

Dan

Sometimes I wonder if anyone even listens to me.

1. Yes, the ad is a problem. It is not supposed to be on the site. We did not approve it.

2. It will be removed.

3. It cannot be removed until I can get ahold of the ad people.

4. Unlike me, the ad people are smart and have regular business hours. They are asleep right now.

We don't always read all previous comments, in cases like this because (and imagine me as a

nice person with a smile on my face as I write this, as hard as that may be), we are so

annoyed at the situation (in this case the audio ad) that we aren't interested in spending time

reading the thread - just it "giving feedback."

I'm sure that you moderators must develop thick skin...

Dan