Tokina Lenses

cory_zerkee

I just have a couple of questions for those of you who are all knowing (or close

to it) in regards to lenses.

I have a K100D and am in the market for a fast zoom lens for nature photography.

I was looking at the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX lens which retails for about

$1299CDN or so. Unfortunately, it is backordered from Sigma for the next several

months.

I have been surfing ebay to see what's available and ran across a Tokina

100-300mm f/4 AT-X 340 AF II Lens which is selling for $698CDN+shipping new

(from Hong Kong with warranty from HK also).

I also found a Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 ATX Pro used for $400CDN (at the moment,

auction isn't over yet).

My questions are. Is Tokina any good? I have looked around the net and found

some absolutely beautiful pics with the 100-300 f/4 Tokina. It seems to be tack

sharp at 300mm f/4.

If so, are those prices reasonable? The 100-300mm f/4 is several hundred cheaper

than the identical Sigma and the 80-200mm f2.8 is much cheaper than the Pentax

equivalent which is around $2K.

Thanks for any info guys.

If you can get the Tokina for $400 (80-200) get it...it should sell for about $800 US if it was listed properly, possibly even $1000 US.

The 100-300 f/4 is a good lens too, I never could find one. It had some nice reviews and if it was even almost as good as the 80-200 2.8 than it would be a stellar lens.

I'm a little skeptical the 100-300 is new, those lenses have been scarce and not made in a long time. But if you think the lens is legit, it will be worthwhile even used.

The Tokina ATX-Pro 80-200 is a very nice lens, very sharp and built like a tank. it's NOT a walking around lens and the included tripod mount is very nice because handholding this lens is possible but a chore.

As far as the Sigma vs. the Tokina build/price. Tokina is hands down the best built lens maker. Sigma EX is good, but it's plastic, and more suspect in build. Tokina is built better IMO than any other brand on the market (well Japanese brand).

Happy bidding!

Thanks for the info Justin. I think I might try and grab the 80-200 f/2.8. It's used, but other than a small scuff on the body where the hood mounts, it's in perfect condition. I can live with 200mm as it would be 300mm on my camera due to the crop factor.

I am a little leary ordering something that is shipped from China as I would have to deal with them for warranty, so I will probably not go for the 100-300mm f/4.

Hrm. I looked again, it says NEW. Here is the link. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320202982816&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Cory, I've been on the same hunt myself for months. I can tell you that unless you are very lucky, the 80-200 will hit $1000. The last 3 that sold, went for $1000-1100. This is a very rare lens these days. That 100-300 seems odd. Tokina doesn't show it on their web site for any mount (unless I missed something) and this seller is claiming he can provide any brand's mount. Just seems a little odd.

I opted for the Sigma (non macro) 70-200mm f2.8 and just got it recently. So far, a tack sharp, wonderful lens. Hand holdable but certainly a heavier lens. Like the Tokina, very well built, all metal body with a tripod collar. And about half the cost of the used price on a Pentax version. But unfortunately, it's just about as rare as the Tokina.

Thanks for the info guys. Yea, I am going to avoid that 100-300 as it is most likely a scam. I am watching the 80-200 like a hawk though. What is the most I should pay for that lens? Is it worth the $1k you said it would probably end up going for? If so, I am not opposed to paying that to get good, fast AF zoom, I just don't want to pay more than it's worth.

Thanks again!

Well they were new at around $1299 I think and as these (Sigma, Tokina or Pentax ) are all rare now they will sell for close to the original price. As I said before the last three Tokina's went for $1000-1100.

Tom, Justin's right the Pentax 1.7TC is also AF for manual focus lenses. with some limits. It's really more like manual/AF assist.

Cory the lens is worth $1000 but it's actually also it's issue price brand new with a warranty. So you could say it's a bit over priced, but in light of the fact you have no other options, and IMO, Tokina lenses are better built, and generally better optically than Sigma, I'd think you'd be fine with a used model that was treated well. I'd stick to US purchases, or a bonafide asian seller. There is a camera store based in Japan that always has FA* glass for sale (at absurd premiums) but that looks legit.

I'm almost wondering if those Tokina lenses they list aren't counterfits? Seems like a hard thing to counterfit, but what course of action can you take (assuming you are in the US) against an asian seller? Heck the US can't stop China from shipping us lead laden toys. Take our money, kill our kids, brilliant!!!

Hi Justin.

Heh. I am in Canada, but I understand what you mean. They could be knockoffs and the buyer might never know. The 80-200 f/2.8 is from a different seller in the USA and it is used. It has a small scuff where the lens hood mounts, but other than that, it's mint. The scuff in no way affects the optics. He lists it as an autofocus lens though, from what I have seen the Tokina 80-200 f2.8's were manual focus, albeit those were older ones. This seller seems legit and I have contacted him already to find out more details on the damaged he mentioned (which as I said was a scuff).

I will monitor the auction and try and snipe it at the last minute. I don't think I will go over $900 though. If I was going to pay $1000 for it, I would just pay a bit more and get the 100-300 f/4 Sigma new locally with a warranty that I originally wanted (it's backordered though).

"I also found a Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 ATX Pro used for $400CDN (at the moment, auction isn't over yet)."

It's a great lens, optically and for build quality. I've had mine for 10 years now and, despite seeing a lot of use, it looks like new.

The 100-300 F4 is also well regarded - I'd expect both lenses to make significant Ebay cash, particularily as demand seems high for Pentax KAF fit lenses at present.

I just spotted this one on Ebay. I would get myself but I already

have a Vivitar Series 1.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokina-AT-X-SD-80-200mm-1-2-8-Zoom-lens-for-Pentax-K_W0QQitemZ260202997292QQihZ016QQcategoryZ4688QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps someone. I joined so I could post this. Hopefully the

link will come through. I read the terms and this post does not seem

out of order. Apologies to the mods if it is. Just trying to help out.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi evrybody. I'm new on this forum. Would you mind giving me the website of this seller of 100-300's. I'm very curious now and would very much like to see his stuff myself. By the way, I do have a test of the lens made back when it first appeared on the market. The Tokina beat 5 competitors, all slower lenses (F5,6)including the canon 100-300 F5,6 L. I'm still looking for one in OM mount.