40D vs. 5D

brossart

Thanks all for your responses and helping me get my head out of the minutia of the specs and see the reality of what would suit my needs. For what it's worth, I've elected to go with the 40D combo for a number of reasons. The added reach of the 1.6 crop puts me in the FL range of my preferred tele (the 70-200). 40D delivers the AF speed and accuracy I'm looking for. 5D may deliver better noise control and overall IQ, but 40D's pretty darn good and I believe will fit my needs. I also came to the realization that if a bigger sensor was better, why am I not looking to break the bank and look at medium format. Bit of a slippery slope argument, but it helped me realize the power packed in the 40D's cropped sensor. Got to say I wondered what Allan was talking about. I'll have to side with Robin on the size point. I've actually shot the 5D/100-400 combo. While I did find it heavy and big, I did not find it unwieldy. I think there are differing oppinions on the 100-400 as a lens of choice. I actually quite like it, but as I mentioned earlier, I do prefer the 70-200 if the FL is right. Thanks again all.