Nikon 70 200 2.8 vr availability

marekd

Hello Everyone,

Does anybody have any clue when will Nikon's 70 200 2.8 vr be available for a

"normal" price again? I've found only one store through pricegrabber.com, that

carries this lens, and it sells for $1799, which seems awful high. None of the

stores listed on dealtime.com carry it either.

Anyone has idea how much it usually take nikon to deal with such situations?

Thanks for your help on that!!

Marek

Marek: If you use pricegrabber or dealtime be sure and go to www.resellerratings.com and check the validity of the dealer.

No offense, just be careful who you buy from. All the dealers I purchase from have them listed at 1600.00 or so. But everyone is out of stock right now due to being backordered.

Cameta (and excellent eBay dealer) and a factory refurb for 1599.00 (USA) with a one year warranty if you want one now.

Good luck.

If B&H still has in stock , grab it if thats what you want because it wont be there long, Ive been trying to get this one for some time now and got one from B&H and should be at the door tomorrow. its the normal price and its a dealer you can trust.

As hot as this lense has been Im supprised the price hasn't jumped up higher in price.

Alex, that's what I was thinking too. Dollar is at its history low, and I was afraid that that might be a reason for the raise in prices. B&H just got a gray market version of the lens in stock today. I might get it... When I buy from dealtime or pricegrabber, I only do from "trusted merchants" I've purchased a lot of equipment and never was disappointed. I avoid low priced stores... But, David, thank you for a warning, it's appreciated.

The problem I have with a gray market version of the lens is that I'm leaving US in July, and will be living in Europe. So if something goes wrong with a lens, shipping it to US to B&H for fixing under warranty, is a poor option.

Well, thank you all for your input!

I agree with Alex. If you are not going to be living in the US, why would you care about Nikon USA's warranty. People in the US prefer the Nikon USA version because Nikon US will not fix gray-market ones.

Additionally, Nikon USA's 5-year extended warranty only applies in the US.

Nikon is coming out with a new 70-200mm 2.8 zoom with the update VR and new Nano Crystal Coat. I was going to buy the gray lens from b&h but when I heard Nikon was coming out with this new lens at the end of the month I figure I better wait. But of course this is just a rumor. :~P

James, I found this on Thom Hogan's website http://www.bythom.com/2008predictions.htm

he stated "70-200mm AF-S VR N redesign in time for the Olympics. Some of you might not think it needs it, but a quick nudge to the newer VR and N coating specs aren't difficult." Also my local pro shop owner told me to look out for Nikon's announcement of this new lens at the end of this month or early Feb. but again I CAN'T confirm this. :~P