Field Camera Choice

alexander_illich

For some time now I've been interested in the purchase of a feild or view camera and I'm not really sure

where to begin. I deal almost exclusively with fine art photography and in many situations transport of

equipment is an issue, but so is studio use, etc.

So feild cameras are (obviously) the winner for transportation but how much do they limit the user as

compared to a view/monorail camera, these are big issues I've recently been dealing with because I would

want to use whatever camera I buy in both the feild and in the studio/controlled enviornment.

I wouldn't say I'm the msot docile person, I enjoy long distance (and would probably throw either a field/

view camera into a panier) and bike a couple thousand kilometers with it, etc.

Additionally 'Price' is a very large issue, this is my first LF camera and why I would love to have something

inexpensive I don't want a peice I will say.. NEED to replace in a year for something more flexible.

Any suggestions dear shooters?

"I deal almost exclusively with fine art photography and in many situations transport of equipment is an issue but so is studio use, etc. . . .I enjoy long distance (and would probably throw either a field/ view camera into a panier and bike a couple thousand kilometers with it. Additionally 'Price' is a very large issue."

Could you tell us more precisely what you like to take pictures of, and what kind of (non-field/view) camera you have been using before?

Douglas, Bob, where are you? Should we spread the name of the Linhof once again? :-)

Bike? You are my type of guy! I use a Linhof Color ST Kardan.

Why? Because I can jump on it nothing really happens I can drow the bellows to almost 400 mm which is good. It's performs with any wide angle lenses which make it even better it's made out of dural aluminium which is tuff and it's give me all I want.

There is one little minor problem do his not speaks which makes you feel alone somethimes. :-)

I just went through this process with basically the same considerations and ended up getting a Chamonix 45N-1. It's a brand new field camera made in China with excellent movements, great build and engineering quality and weighing in at close to three pounds. I've only had mine for a short time, but I'm extremely happy with it. I'm very mobile when I'm shooting, and the 45N-1 is very light and compact, yet very rigid. The main drawback is that they're made in a small workshop/factory and there's a wait--maybe six months.<div>00NsGj-40737084.jpg.4ee42f09c6b9516ae9629ed636a04378.jpg</div>

Frank--sure no problem, I shots some folded pics too and will upload when I get home. I lucked out and got in on the last batch so I only had to wait a couple of weeks and maybe they'll move the production up, but they spend a lot of time making ultra large format cameras. The construction is black walnut (or white maple) with aluminum and carbon fiber. The bed is made of carbon fiber.

Just get one with long enough bellows as there is no work around for a short bellows. There

are work arounds for most anything else.

I like my Zone VI, but do consider the Camham DLC. To do over, probably would get the

DLC as Calumet seems to have bailed on LF equipment. It is still a nice camera with 20"

bellows.

Good luck with cycling and large format. I've bicycled across the US, Canada, and down Pacific Coast and the thought of carrying a lf camera never crossed my mind. I did run into a screwball in northern california that was carrying a guitar on the front rack (and biking shirtless in 55 deg weather), but 35mm and two small lenses, film and polarizer was enough for me. For all else, I am happy with my Horseman FA or Tachihara field cams. Dont forget there is a lot more to pack than just the cam.

Newbie here in search of info...

Once you do get a camera like the Chamonix, say, how much more money you have to budget to be fully operational for both portraits and landscape? Can anyone break it down for me assuming nothing (everything must be purchased from scratch, including the tripod)?

Thanks!

A lot of the additional costs depends on your own preferences, because there's no limit to what you can spend, but if you're careful and purchase used you can get up and running for a fairly small amount.

You'll need--

Filmholders--run about $8-$10 in excellent condition. Maybe start with 10.

Normal lens 135mm-210mm -- Lots of bargains for modern lenses. $200- $225 can get you a top quality lens (like Caltar/Rodenstock) + lens board.

Loupe/magnifier -- $10-$40.

Tripod-- $100-$150 buys a decent used Bogen and head.

Darkcloth -- use a black t-shirt, make one, or go fancy for $50.

Film -- $50 buys 50-100 sheets.

Misc-- step up/down rings for filters, lens hood, cable release etc -- $30

Processing -- You can do tray processing or get a tank/drum. Lot's of free/cheap darkroom stuff out there.

So maybe another $500-$600 to get up and going.

The famous Robert Adams shoots with Tachihara 4x5. Perhaps not the most solid but solid enough and light to carry.

I have a Linhof Classic 45 but in the field such as I travel (Central America) perhaps not the best choices because of the rain. In that environ wood field might prove better.

Many choices. Best - Paul

• 6 months later...