Copy to CD/DVD

steve ward

I am having trouble copying jpeg images to cd. I hope there is a fix for this.

My pc is a dell and has both cd and dvd drives. I want to be able to copy

images to cd and give them to other people to display and/or print. I can copy

to cd easily enough. I then run a "make compatible" function. For some reason

this does not work. I can retrieve the images from the cd only in my own

computer, and not in any other computer that I have been able to try.

Does anyone know how to overcome this?

Hi Steve,

It seems to me you have 2 problems:

1) how to get your photos to other people's computers

2) how to burn CDs/DVDs that can be read by other's computers.

I don't know how to solve the second question, but getting your photos to other people's

computers is easy if you have broadband internet access:

you don't have to burn CDs or DVDs. You simply upload your photos (by the folder load)

to http://www.pando.com/ (max. 1GB per upload) or to http://www.podmailing.com/

(UNlimited file size) and enter the email address of your recipients. They get an email with

a link with which they can download all your photos (or other files) at their leisure.

Have fun!

In order to make your CDs and DVDs readable on other computers you need to (1) create a data disc (CD-ROM or DVD-ROM) in ISO or UDF format, (2) write it as a "disc-at-once" recording (not track at once or floppy-emulating format) and (3) finalize the disc the end of the recording process.

Sometimes so-called "easy" programs like XP utilities and Roxio make these basic specifications hard to find, or couched in non-standard terms like "make compatible". I recommend Nero v8, which has all of the "easy" menues, but also a core program called "Burning Rom", which bypasses all the B-S.

You can kinda'-sorta' do this with Roxio, but they make it difficult to get around the candy-coated stuff to make a real CD-ROM. Roxio also changes system files (dll), stepping on various other programs - making Roxio a non-starter in my opinion.

Steve, Edward Ingold's advice is spot-on.

Unfortunately, burning CD's and DVD's is not like transferring files to a floppy disk. It's best to approach as a one-shot finalized writing, using proprietary software, not the built-in Windows functions.

Many optical drives come bundled with Nero, Roxio or other, you might already have one of these one hand, though, with the Dell package, maybe not. I'd look into Nero. Like a lot of programs these days, they present their software in a "suite", which can be confusing. Per Edward, likely the only component you'll need to use is "Burning ROM".

• 2 weeks later...