Canon 5D and 40D Anniversary Kits

joe_nash1

Joe - You are better off in the long run with the current 5D. Great price and great lens to start with. Canon will be phasing out crop bodies in the future so why invest in them. Also, you want to purchase full frame lenses and use them the way they were designed. Crop lenses will not retain their value as well. For example..10-22 crop lens cost the same as 17-40L that has hood, pouch, weather seals, faster speed and mechanical superiority. There are other examples but you get the drift..

The 40D is a great crop body, but it's viewfinder is a peep hole compared to the 5D. What's the first thing a person does when they pick up a camera? Put it to their eye.. The ability to see your subject just happens to be a big deal to me and reason enough but..

Hmm, IQ being the same..well I disagree here too. You see, Bokeh quality is just plain smoother and buttery on the 5D as compared to the 40D (and any crop for that matter). The subject just stands out better, period. The 40D also has a very strong AA filter (soft images) and gathers less light than the 5D too in low light shooting (smaller pixel pitch).

Lastly, the 5D replacement..big deal, it will cost you 3g's body only. The added features just don't seem worth it to me over the current awesome price of the 5D and kit.

Rent the cameras and lenses you are interested in and decide.

I have been doing a comparison between the 5D and 40D, and the other big (on paper)

difference that I have noticed is the sealing. Apparently the 5D is not sealed to sand and

moisture like the 40D and 1D are. Does anyone here have any real world experience with

this issue on these bodies (5D vs 40D, 1D is a given and out of my range right now)? I

have been shooting with a 30D and prior to that various Rebels and the 1.6x crop is an

advantage about 25% of the time (when shooting telephoto) and a disadvantage about 25%

of the time (when shooting wide angle), so about 1/2 the time it doesn't matter at all to

me. I am MUCH more interested in the accuracy of the focus in low light using the OUTER

focus points and the durability of the camera (moisture and sand are a factor as I live in

South Florida). Any specific feedback for shooting weddings or other low light events in

portrait mode? Lastly, I have noticed and been told by Canon that the 30D doesn't focus

as well at 2.8 and I should shoot at 5.6 (kind of defeats the purpose of spending the extra

money for all 2.8 lenses, doesn't it/), is this also an issue, or as much of an issue with the

40D and 5D? Thanks in advance.

>> I am MUCH more interested in the accuracy of the focus in low light using the OUTER focus points and the durability of the camera (moisture and sand are a factor as I live in South Florida).

I have both 40D and 1D. I have not made any direct comparisons but my impression is that the 1D is still better than the 40D.

>> Lastly, I have noticed and been told by Canon that the 30D doesn't focus as well at 2.8 and I should shoot at 5.6

For the life of me I cant fathom this. The focus is ALWAYS done wide open.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Yakim, thanks for your input. I'm certain that the 1D is much better, but unfortunately it is

not in my range right now. I am looking for a comparison between the 40D and 5D and even

the 30D (as that is what I currently shoot with). The 5.6 thing is odd to me as well, since the

camera always focuses at wide open (like you said), but according to Canon this is how the

30D performs best by design (not an exact quote).