Lens caps for Nikon 3.5cm f/1.8

According to Braczko's Complete Nikon System your lens uses 43mm accessories. He also says, "Nikon provided a special metal snap-on hood." You can buy a 43mm snap-on lens cap for under 5.00 and a 43mm rubber screw-on hood for under 10.00. The rear hood should be a standard Nikon mount, unless you have the screw-on version of the lens. -- Henry Posner / B&H Photo-Video

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

Just try it if you can before you buy it. I tried to use an adapter on mine for filters and the adapter interfered with the filter ring, it is different than the hood ring. The outer silver ring is for the cap and black inner ring for the filter. I have the original bakelite Nippon lens cap.

Thanks Henry, Michael and Ken. So, if I understand it correctly, the inner ring on the lens is for filters with 43mm thread and the outer ring, which I believe is 48mm, for the lens hood.

I found a replacement lens hood on this link

http://www.cameraquest.com/abrah35nrf.htm

but it is still quite expensive. In actual shooting situations with the 3.5cm f/1.8, have you found much problems with flare?

I've seen the deeper rear lens caps marked "W", they show up from time to time. I've never found a front lens cap, but I'm thinking of buying a lens hood and an Op/Tech Hood Hat if the dimensions are right (see http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/197129-REG/Op_Tech_USA_8001262_Hood_Hat_Mini.html). I use this combination on various Nikon F mount lenses and find it very practical to use and to give adequate protection.

While looking at the link and seeing how he's manufacturing these hoods, the price isn't bad. Far more than I would pay for a lens hood, but obviously superior to the common sheet metal stamping.

Being familiar with the different alloys; I have to wonder exactly what "Aerospace Aluminum Alloy" is? Aluminum Alloys are specified by numbers (6061, 5083, 5086) and not 'names.'