type post in the travel board... they deserved the wallet, it was an

impressive snatch!)

Fast forward 8 months, and I just got a D300. Now, potential crooks don't have

to worry about stealing a D40, Nikon let's them know I have a D300 around my

neck (even if they can't see the camera). I had the D70 strap turned inside

out for most my of my trip, but wanted a better/ more comfy solution. Anyway,

it is worth getting another strap or just taking a black marker to the D300

strap? I can't think of any reason why I would need "Nikon D300" around my

neck for all to see. Am I misseding something?

I was going to buy a generic black strap... I was also going to look into a

pacsafe strap (if they make one). Can someone please tell me to get a marker,

relax and keep shooting? Or should i go another route.

Paranoid? Maybe. No Mexico-esque trips this year... SFO, Cayman, Bahamas,

Miami, New York, Hawaii, and maybe a few others.... back to the developing

world in 2009...

Happy holidays -

Keith

PS I am still waiting for Nikon to send back my D70 8 weeks after I sent it

and 6 weeks after they diagnosed the issue. it's on parts hold. ARGH!

I agree with Hiro. An Op/Tech strap <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2F37012-Strap-Camera-Equipment-Black%2Fdp%2FB00007E816%3Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Delectronics%26qid%3D1198947108%26sr%3D8-1&tag=uplandlife-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325" target="_blank"><b>like this</b></a> isn't just lower-profile, brand-wise, but it's MUCH more comfortable than the factory strap. I also like the quick releases, which allow me to get the bulk of the strap out of the way when I'm mounting on a tripod.

fwiw, i've been using AN-4B straps for a couple of decades:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37064-REG/Nikon_639_AN_4B_Nylon_Neck_Strap.html

hard to find anything more discrete; it fits under any collar. it's narrow, so i can (and do most of the time on the shoot) put my hand through it, wrap it twice around my thumb and end up with a solid, secure hand grip. it's narrow, so i never struggle with collars, buttons, hats or hoods. it's narrow, so you may hate to hang six pounds from it ;-)

cheers

Yeah I always used my D80 strap (which just said NIKON on it) inside out, then when I got

my D300, I was pretty shocked that they printed not only NIKON but also D300 on the strap

itself. I use that one inside out too, but am planning to get another, more generic strap. A lot

of people also put a piece of black tape over the Nikon on the camera body too.

For heavy loads (like the Bigma) I use an Op-Tech harness. Most comfortable way I have ever seen for suspending heavy loads from your neck. I also have an Op-Tech conventional neck strap that also has quick releases. When I go from the harness to the neck strap, I use a pair of OP-tech adapters, so I don't have to change the part that connects to the terminals.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to run to Calumet and take a look for the stuff mentioned here. Maybe I'll eBay the d300 strap for someone wanting to be a poser!

Given the # of responses, I guess (a) I wasn't crazy or (b) we all are.

I did see some other straps at Helix (where I got the camera), but the only "plain ones" were quick release. I don't like the idea of hangind $4K worth of gear from a plastic clip. My Northface clip cracked, so I assume they are all "untrustworthy" 8-)

Thanks again. This is a great forum.

Keith,

When I feel that I need to take precautions, I make sure to put my camera in a plain looking

day pack so that I look like a low budget traveler. When the opportunity arises, I take the

camera out of the backpack and go from there. Any desperate thief is not going to pay

attention to neck strap color. Have a great time on all your trips.

Op-Tech straps are comfortable but the soft neoprene can easily be cut or torn. I cut mine up just to use the padding to make my D2H neckstrap more comfortable.

I worry a bit about those quick release clips too. I ended up tying 'em together.

Some of my favorite straps are homebrewed from military OD green nylon webbing and paracord. I use it on my lighter weight cameras, handheld meters and other equipment. Discrete and strong enough to serve double duty as makeshift climbing assist gear, bootlaces or expedient garrotes.