looking for a good wireless remote to mess around with some bird pics. set up

the camera close and fire from far away. any ideas for this?i know they have

beam shutter releases and stuff like that but i don't know where to look.i was

gonna get the new nikon wireless remote but i wasn't sure if it would fire from

behind.the make these releases that only get triggered from the front, i don't

want to be in the picture.even the D70 release, everyone loves it compared to

the 10 pin hook up, you have to stand right in front of the camera to fire

it.put a sensor on the back of the camera.nowhere does it state that when you

use a remote you have to stand directly in front of the camera.

The Nikon ML-3 shown by BW Combs link has range of only 24', and it costs about the price of single Pocket Wizard transceiver (recever - transmitter). You will need to get 2 of Pocket Wizards to have triggering range of 1600'. Then you will need dedicated for Nikon cable that will "keep awake" / pre-focus the camera, that is also a bit expensive.

The Nikon solution is less than 1/2 price of Pocket Wizard solution, but may not have range of triggering that you would want in certain applications, like placing camera on a balcony, or high above a tennis court, hockey, etc. 24' is really not that long for shooting remote sports, or even in a large church.

Needless to say that Pocket Wizard solution is for universal use, and you could trigger strobes, etc. while the ML-3 is just dedicated to remote triggering the camera only, from near proximity that is.

Sort of sub-set of functionally equivalent to Nikon ML-3, were similar inexpensive units offerred on eBay made abroad, but had some reliability problems - reported. They were also available from Adorama, but seems no longer there ? - perhaps for a reason?

The Infrared of Dave Bishop must be on steroids. You may get lucky.

The unit I tried did not go farther than 20 feet in direct line sight of view. Unreliable at longer distances.

Actually some rate is longer than 24' and it is 26' 100' would be really good if the visibility between IR transmitter and receiver is not blocked.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-ML-3-Compact-Modulite-Control/dp/tech-data/B00009XV5L/ref=de_a_smtd/104-2588153-9983943?ie=UTF8&qid=1198524849&sr=1-1

The IR unit is in no way competition to ratio triggering, when line-of-sight is not needed.

• 3 weeks later...