For K10D can you recommend a low cost 3rd party flash?

gib

If you can learn to use an auto flash (or manual) you can try the sunpak 383. If you want p-ttl, there aren't any cheap ones. You would be better going with the pentax flashes in that case. I decided to bite the bullet and learn how to use the sunpak 383s. :-) Take a look at strobist.com as well.

For information on Non Pentax flash for K10D, I am using my old RICOH XR SPEEDLIGHT 300P, the trigger voltage is well within the safe range, and works perfectly in Manual mode. the added plus is the guide on the rear of the gun is very accuate. its best to set the ISO for the camera to a set range for the gun, 100, 200 ISO etc. rather than AUTO.

If you want a fully dedicated flash that can enable all flash functions with the body, at this

point in time the only ones I'd buy are the Pentax AFxxxFGZ models.

If you just want a simple, solid auto flash unit and are willing to forego Pentax dedicated

features, the Sunpak 383 is excellent and inexpensive.

Godfrey

I personally use Pentax's flash--however there is a less expensive <A HREF=https://secure.soligor.com/index.php?id=5&backPID=75&L=1&tt_products=6704&L=1>Soligor</A> P-TTL flash that doesn't include the more advanced features like wireless or HSS. I believe it is also sold under another name as well though I don't remember what that is. The Sigma & Metz P-TTL alternatives may offer slightly better (or worse) price and offer this or that feature but don't currently seem compelling enough to me to favor over the Pentax offerings. Your mileage may vary.

<P>As others have noted you could also go with Auto/Manual flash and this opens up many choices.