Photoshop 7.0 Quickmask problem

When I enter the quick-mask and use the paintbursh tool to highlight the areas

I want to mask, it seems that the painbrush tool does not completely mask that

area. I have it set on Normal with 100% opacity and 100% flow.

I use it on another computer, and have no problem, Works fine.

I cant figure it out. I must have inadvertently hit some keystroke or setting,

and I cant figure out how to get it back to normal.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or what I might have done? I am baffled.

SRM

Nope. Not it. Feathering is off and the brush hardness doesnt make a difference. I am pretty sure there must have been some keystroke I hit by mistake (kind of like hitting the caps lock button and the cursor changes? I remember when that first happened a few years back and it took me a while to figure out what I did)

SRM

I use CS2 but I still have PS7 so I had to open a file in PS7 to check this out. First, when

you click on a brush while in Quick Mask mode, there isn't really a place to turn

feathering off, so I'm wondering why you said that. But when you pick a brush to create

your mask in Quick Mask mode, if the brush is soft at all there will be feathering and

your selection will seem to be incomplete. You can check the hardness of your brush by

clicking on Window >Brushes >Brush Tip Shape (at the top). There's a hardness slider

there, and it should be at 100%. I'm sorry to belabor this point, but when the brush is

soft, it most definitely does affect the feathering of the selection.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Try resetting your brushes. You can do this by selecting the Brush Tool in the tool bar to make it active (or press "B" for brush on your keyboard). At the far left hand side of your Option bar (at the top of your screen) there is a tool preset. Right mouse click (Mac users Control-Click) on the TRIANGLE (not the brush icon!) and you will get a pop-down menu asking if you would like to reset the tool or all tools.

Will

Adobe CTI Photoshop

P.S. If you are using a round standard brush, "["+shift (to the right of the "P" key on your keyboard) makes your brush softer, "]" +shift makes your brush harder.

Fiddling with this some more, I have checked all of the settings I can think of (every setting in the brushes dialog, every category) and set them to the same as my other computer. Still the same problem. I have however, seemed to isolate that it only happens when I use the "select-inverse" command. This gives me a bit of a workaround now, but the problem is still bugging me. I need to figure out what is causing it.

Its something with any type of fill or paint tool(I just noticed that the paint-bucket and pencil tool have the same effect) when used in combination with the quick mask.

I guess I try reinstalling. Here we go...

SRM

OK...this is baffling. I uninstalled PShop using the windows uninstaller. Then I reinstalled it. Oddly enough, all of my previous settings, uncluding the recent files list, are still there. SO that means whatever setting I might have accidentally changed to make this happen, is still there.

I have isolated it further now too. It seems that it only does this when I am using the quickmask to highlight the masked areas (the default) with a paintbrush (or fill tool) and then the selct inverse tool. When I change it to highlight selected areas, all works fine; even when using the select inverse tool.

If I use the lasso and select a part of a picture, then enter quick mask, the color of the highlight is almost opaque. When I click on the highlight with the painbrush, I can see that it is not as dark and the opacity/fill of the brush is not the same. It should be. It is on my other computer.

Obviously, this problem is for you guys who might like to trouble shoot things like this, because it is really annoying for me.

Thanks much

Man, its just something with the brush tools (or any fill tool) in QM mode only. The brush doesn't act funny when not in QM mode. But when in QM mode, it doesnt completely select the area, no matter how much you click the brush, and all of the brush settings are on 100%. Like I said, it doesnt do it on my other computer, and still persists despite a reinstall.

I am about to take a pen and stab my laptop screen. Yup. That would fix it for sure.

SRM