need some advice to start a career

matusciac

Hello, i want to work in fashion industry as a photographer. The only problem is

that in my country (Romania) there's no fashion industry. only a few designers...

I deed some advice on how to start, where to search, for jobs, rentals etc...

my portfolio here on PN www.photo.net/photos/matusciac

thank you very much!

"The only problem is that in my country (Romania) there's no fashion industry. only a few designers..."

My advice: try another country...

Otherwise, there are things "going on" even in Romania, photography-wise. I know nothing about being a pro, but I have seen a lot of new photo-related magazines/websites/shows/etc, so I suspect there is a growing demand, albeit still quite small. You may need to think a bit out of the box and look around more. I'd try in Bucharest around the newsprint industry, but it's probably all on a shoestring. And you may need a lot of friends and connections to get some orders...

If you are interested in fashion photography, and there is no fashion industry in your country, and there are only a few designers... you might be in a prime position to build a unique career where you are. Have you approached the "few designers" in Romania and asked them how you can use your photographic skills to help them promote their goods?

Having been through a few careers in my life, I suggest you ease into this. Find a steady way to make a living, either one that involves photography of any kind, or one that allows you to pursue your interest. There is no straight line to what you want.

It is very, very difficult these days to make photography of any kind a full-time occupation. A neighbor of mine (Philadephia, USA) quit teaching 7 years ago to become a photographer. He specializes in head shots for actors. He told me a few months ago that it took ALL of those seven years to actually start making enough money to live on. He also commented that with the digital equipment available today, he would not have been able to start now and be successful against the increased competition.

This is perhaps not what you wanted to hear, but as I pointed out in the beginning of this post, you have to be flexible. I met a Romanian stock broker (young fellow) in a restaurant in New York City two months ago. He was making good money, and he had a Leica slung from his neck.

I agree with Asher, that could your selling point. I live/work in London which there is tons of work but even more competition so its difficult getting work.

Build your portfolio where you are and try and get any small amount of work you can then think about trying to branch out international.