ellis_vener_photography

As you would expect, with the the 12-24mm mounted and the camera in DX mode, at

12mm the angle of view is about what you'd get with a 18mm lens on a 24x36mm

(FX) format camera.

With the same lens but the D3 set to FX mode the entire format is not covered

but I've got the vertical coverage of a 12mm lens on the FX format

With the 14-24mm lens mounted on the D3 which is designed to cover the FX

format, at 14mm , I've got both the ultra-wide view and a bit more than than

double the resolution.<div>00NiZM-40467484.thumb.jpg.608cdcbbd4048142e4cb13bc86064498.jpg</div>

Ellis,

have you carefully checked how the corners look with the 12-24/4? On a Kodak 14n, the corners are terribly mushy at all focal lengths (including 24mm), and the transition between good and not good is quite sharp. At least with my sample of the lens and the SLR.

Could you post a 100% sample from some corner with detail in it?

Sensational post - as a relative "newbie" the first time I have actually seen - rather than imagined - the difference between DX and FX. Makes me want to get FX lenses 'just in case' even though I can't imagine ever owning an FX body...

The distortions from both the zooms seem similar though the magnitude may be less with the bigger zoom. Not a simple barrel distortion but a 'wavy' distortion.

The lens Frank refers to is a 35mm full format rectilinear super wide, prime lens. It is a not a fast lens at f/8 and there are *severe* light fall off from the center. Practically no distortions though! :)

Besides that, it is a non retro-focus design. It is very useful to bring that up here for a comparison.

rewrite!<P>

the <I>plane</I> of the Door jambs was about 6-8 inches in front of lens which means that the upper

and lower edges of the jambs in the frame were about 12-15 inches <I>further away

from the horizontal center line of the lens</I> <P> What you are seeing is the effect of simple single point

perspective Frank: even a Hologon would show this.

here's one more from this afternoon. It was a gray skyed day here in Atlanta. This is an HDR composite that started life as two NEF files 3. & 2/3rds stop apart. The lens, once again was the 14-28mm f/2.8G ED Nikkor @ f/8. Camera set to ISO200 and aperture priority mode, using the 3D Color Matrix metering. What I'm posting her is quite large but only about 25% of the size of the original.<div>00NitW-40474684.thumb.jpg.ce4031dac4ebead4aed26d4a321fd84b.jpg</div>

Looking carefully at the extreme bottom edge you can see that there is actually a small amount of barrel distortion (look at the grid in the tile in the floor) at the edges of the frame . But for me it is far from being a deal killer, its acualy extremely wel lcorrected for a 14mm lens and could easily be corrected in post production if needed.

Also worth noting is the evenness of the exposure from edge to center: If there is falloff I'm not seeing it.

Looking carefully at the extreme bottom edge you can see that there is a very small amount of barrel distortion (look at the grid in the tile in the floor) at the edges of the frame . But for me it is far from being a deal killer, its acualy extremely well corrected for a 14mm lens and could easily be corrected in post production if needed.

Also worth noting is the evenness of the exposure from edge to center: If there is falloff I'm not seeing it.

Looking carefully at the extreme bottom edge you can see that there is a very small amount of barrel distortion (look at the grid in the tile in the floor) at the edges of the frame . But for me it is far from being a deal killer: the lens is extremely well corrected, especially for a 14mm lens, and could easily be corrected in post production if needed.