Friends & Family (and other Slippery Slopes)

My New Year's Resolution for 2008 is to learn to JUST SAY NO to no-paying / low-paying and otherwise

not-worth-it jobs. I opened a studio in September, so now I have REAL expenses and can't afford to

give away work, even when I want to. I also raised my rates and tightened my policies going forward.

The problem is not enforcing the new policies / rates with "off the street" clients, my problem is with

friends, family, and colleagues who I know and like well enough that they almost expect freebies or

very cheap work. To give an example, I've photographed my good friend's son twice now. Last time,

she really got under my skin by "demanding' a few things that I thought were unreasonable for a

freebie job (huge, long marathon session when I had an infant waiting for me at home, close to 100

images she wanted to see, then within a tight timeline "to get these to Grandma before the holidays." A

teacher of Photoshop herself at a local art school), she drove me insane when she gave the disk back

and asked me to give her son a "haircut" in Photoshop because she neglected to do so in reality. I was

dumbfounded and gracefully slid my way out of doing it.

I have an official "friends & family" discount of 25% across the board, but I still have a hard time

enforcing it.

The other issue I have is people who call and clearly either can't afford me or who I know from the get-

go are going to be super high-maintenance. I'd rather not work with them at all. I don't want to

require an order minimum (my session fees are $150/studio and $225/location), though on my site it

does say "clients typically invest $750 or more to create a comprehensive collection" to give them an

idea. I find that I can't necessarily turn the person down when they open the conversation with "are you

free on X date" and I say "yes." I can't later lie about availability to get out of it. Is it OK to just say at

the end of the conversation, "We're not a good fit"?

One of my favorite clients (from a personality standpoint) only bought ONE 5x7 because she's totally

broke and can't really afford to do this kind of thing. She spent a total of $125 because of a few

referral rewards credits she had built up. I'm thankful for the work and the fact that she touts my

name to everyone she knows, but unfortunately, they're all poor too (LOL). Most of my clientele is great

and spends around $750 - $1500, but I want to cut out the bottom rung, if you know what I mean.

I need some gentle encouragement / help on how you have handled these kinds of situations. How do

you say NO?

TIA :)

Cheers,

Karen

The friends thing sucks, we've all been there. You just have to be firm. They should have no problem understanding considering your new business expenses.

The bottum rung is tougher....you could raise your sitting fees and lower your print prices. Given the size of your studio and the quality of your work...I think you could easly justify higher sitting fees. I think it would make more sense to just structure your pricing around packages though so you are getting a minium order....not sure why you prefer not to do that. Many many studios do.

You might just need to take the bad with the good and hope you'll get some good referrals from them or at least some repeat business or nice portfolio shots to help sell other business depending on how busy you are. I think when you start telling people they aren't a good fit and so forth, you run the risk of hurting your reputation by offending people....especially when they are essentially hearing their child doesn't deserve your time....you know? Pricing is always the best way to weed out the bottum rung.

If people still want freebies or cheap rates, at least "box in" what your discounted service does NOT include, and stick to it. Tell them that it's simply not fair to you, your time, or your paying clients to give the deals you used to. Also make it clear when they ask for a session, that you're VERY busy, and it must be a proper paying situation. I think it's okay to still give deals at your discretion, but you've got to put a professional face on and stick to the "I'm too busy" story. Also perhaps have an absolute minimum charge for sessions, this will weed out people that think they're getting a cheap deal.

<br><br>

I did a bunch of freebie sessions towards the end of this year, on purpose, and it taught me just how much time is involved. To take pictures and give a CD is one thing, but to do colour correcting, photoshopping, cropping, editing etc, just adds far too much time to be doing it for free. It's time for you to politely respect your time and stick to some minimum fees. People should respect that and if they don't they're probably the high maintenance type of clients anyways.

First the "off the street" inquires...

As for those that cannot afford your services, you just let the customer know at an appropriate juncture what your fees are. (early enough to cut down on wasted time but not so early that it turns customers off)If they cannot afford the fees, you can invite them to call upon you again when it is more suitble for them. If they persist, thinking that you will conform to their wishes or discuss some time sensitive event, you can refer them elsewhere.

Similar with super fussy types. If it is really just too much to deal with them, they can be advised that you have a set style and that they would be better served by someone that can accomodate their wishes more fully. If the response is that all they want is quality images ect., there is not as much left to work with. You may just have to tell them that someone else is will better serve their needs nevertheless. Getting in to why with them at that point will only create more anxiety and ill will. Simply tell them that you decline from taking the job. They will probably make some wise crack at that point but it means they are out of your life afterward.

With respect to freinds and relatives there different approaches relative to one's social situation and some suggestions may not be suitable. My approach is based on various factors that may come to mind at the time. One is to consider if the freind or relative has done, is or would do like activities for me. If they were to do work for you, would they expect compensation themselves or balk if it the effort is time consuming or otherwise inconvenient? Second is a reasonableness test. Asking a freind who is contractor to fix a door hinge when they stop by is different than having them build a deck for you out back at cost. Third is to consider if the activity is detrimental to business or home life. Fourth is if the freind or realtive will be unhappy or mad if refused. This can mean to bring peace by caving or bring present and future dignity and saved time for not giving in to ingrates. Finally, I consider if doing the activity once will invite more expectations. The general answer is yes but, an explanation that it is a one time favor and that future endeavors are at the discounted rate, may gently stop future requests.

When turning down social peers it is good to provide a brief explanation that does not invite too much follow up. In some cases the people may not realize the impact that their expectation or request has. If they are considerate people they should accept the explanation. If they are not, it is unreasonable to give away the store to them in the first place.

If there are repeat offenders already, you could announce your new policy and invite them for an at cost sitting before it takes effect in 30 days or something. Yes that's giving in in some ways but I can't judge others relationship dynamics so maybe it will help here.

A little gentle subtrafuge.

I always have one or more young people who wish to assist/apprentice in exchange for a learning situation. When a friend asks for a deal it goes something like this. "Wow. We can help each other out. I have this great apprentice I am working with. If you would let her take your shots that would be a great help to me. And it would be good for you too becuase her sessions are half the price of mine. Besides. You and I have known each other for years. It would be good to get someone with a more objective eye involved. Don't worry. I will supervise without intruding"

No apprentice? "I'd love to take your picutes. We can help each other out too. I have this new lab I want to check out. Let me send your pictures to them and I will let you have them for half price. You will have to be flexible on your times as you know this is my busiest season but what the hell. Half price is a smokin' deal."

When it comes to relatives? Its my pleasure to photograph my family. As I have gotten older I have come to realize that they ain't going to be around forever. And neither am I.