Avoid Jamaica...Ocho Rios.

big kahuna1

Last week we went to Jamaica for a vacation / photo safari. I went equipped

with 2 DSLR's ,2 digital point and shoots, and a slew of lenses and memory

cards. I had intended to come home with pictures of the local culture,

architecture, landscape and anything else that caught my eye.

When we tried to leave the resort the first morning, we were nearly mobbed. A

taxi driver grabbed my arm and tried to pull me into his car, 3 different people

tried to sell us dope, and some woman grabbed a handful of my wifes hair, and

tried to brad it. The only thing that I could think was that my 40D has a mag

alloy body, and will serve me well if I need to defend myself with it.

We made it to the shop on the corner, and were hassled to death there, and

literally ran back to the resort.

Thank god that the resort was nice, because you can not leave it without

protection. We did finally manage an arranged trip to a gated shopping center,

but I never did leave the resort with my cameras again, and all the local

pictures I shot were with my wifes G9, and her A710. The DSLR just attracts too

much attention.

I've never experienced anything like this in my life, not in Jamaica, Not in

Mexico, and for sure not in the states.

Everyone is right when they say that Jamaica is not safe...especially for the

photographer.

I hope that nobody else has that kind of experience on vacation.

Don't know much about Ocho, but I visit Negril and other western towns every year for the last 18. Dragging my backpack with DSLR and equipment (about 25 pounds)around, usually always walking by myself, and have never really felt threatened. People try to sell me dope and other stuff, but you will find that once you are a known quantity to the locals, they don't hassle much. Always tell them you have been coming for years, when asked. I know you had a bad time, but I just want to say that that is not the Jamaica that i have known for almost two decades. But, YMMV, Mon.

Sounds like a lot of places these days. I don't think it was your camera, although it could help scream "rich tourist." But this seems to be a trend. Same thing happened to me overseas in two different countries and any where the dollar is more valuable. Europe doesn't even bother with the us dollar, it's only worth about sixty-five cents right now to the Euro. But places like Africa and the middle east have people who are eager to make a measly living.

Let me make clear. Not freaked out by people selling things, Scared for our lives from the 10+ people, in 1 city block actually grabbing hold of us and trying to drag us into their cars, and getting a hold of my wifes hair. In America, you would be arrested for assault! I am 6'3" and weigh in at nearly 275, I am not accustomed to people trying to physically drag me into cars.

I went with the right attitude, fully expecting what the "Bloggers" call "Aggressive Street Vendors". But you can't prepare someone for what we experienced. Too Bad too! Beautiful country, and very interesting history. I would be excited to see Negril.

I was in Rome 2 years ago. The mobs of beggars and pickpockets would physically harass you all while trying to steal your wallet. I just kept all my money in a money belt inside my pants and kept my D70 inside my jacket with the jacket zipped up so it just looked like a bulge. I'm sure Jamaica is a wonderful country just like Italy but the scum of the earth hang out around tourist locations trying to make a living by theft.

My wife had a similar, though not as bad, experience when visting Ocho Rios. All the time trying to enjoy the park and getting hasseled by street vendors, etc. I've never personally experienced anything worse then pushy vendors and some beggars (which bothers me little), but I know that I would be bothered by what you experienced.

A few decades ago, in Ocho Rios, I was yelled at and harassed by a local constable for snapping a picture of the market. Apparently one of the vendors took offense when i declined to pay for the privilege. Otherwise , most could have cared less, but then Jamaica was better off then than now. The only town we avoided then was Kingston as it was not worth the risk.

I have traveled a good chunk of Central America and in general, find that the people with better quality of life seem more tolerant and cooperative. After being robbed of literally everything including my clothes in broad daylight, my awareness of surroundings improved! A friend of mine was not so lucky and he was killed for a gold necklace . All I can recommend is that when traveling anywhere, do your homework and prepare for your destinations. Geez, even here in good old Milwaukee, kids will shoot one another for shoes or a jacket!

Sometimes you can just be unlucky. Bad situations can happen anywhere at any time.

Thieves, pickpockets, snatch and grab thugs - they all usually work in groups. Take interest of anyone who has taken an interest in you. Once they know you are aware of them they will go looking for easier prey. If they don't drop their interest in you, then you have to be concerned they expect opposition and are prepared for it. Leave. Even if you are Chuck Norris and you beat up all seven of them, without getting shot or stabbed in the process, you will have to deal with local authorities who will not be on your side and may be just one more group of thugs. You cannot win. Like Mr. Miaggi said, "Best defense, no be there."

I love Israel and would go back any time I have an opportunity. But one must be aware of cultural / societal differences and in many countries the political feelings of the moment. While in Bethlehem I had an experience that taught me my most valuable lesson in situational awareness: NEVER let a crowd build around you where you do not have a clear exit. I'm not talking about being in a crowd. I mean do not be the reason there is a crowd, and if one forms, do not let the crowd encircle you.

The scene was typical Israel. The ever present horde of children swarming around, asking for money, selling postcards. The sounds of foreign voices drew attention to the other vendors, who naturally saw an opportunity. By now there are twenty kids and as many young male adults, all selling useless junk. No big deal, except that there are way too many of them. What happens when there are way too many people? One of them has to be a real PITA. Worse yet, he begins screaming in English, "You'll buy from the Jews but not from us! You love the Jews but you hate us!" Oh joy.

Mr. PITA's outbursts bring throngs of 'concerned' locals, all looking for the source of this problem. (That would be me and my buddy.) The crowd is now pushing in and has surrounded me and my buddy. We look at each other. This is bad news. A few more men join the fray and they have determination in their eyes. These guys aren't junk merchants and look decidedly hardscrabble. They are exchanging looks between them.

My partner and I have decided far too late that we need to get back to the bus. We begin politely pushing through the crowd to the bus, about fifty feet away. The crowd isn't parting. The crowd is getting very loud now and there is far too much energy and excitement. The crowd is feeding on their own excitement and with numbers they have grown bold. They apparently don't want us to get to the bus.

My impulse to begin slingling elbows and punches was tempered by the belief that all the crowd needed was a spark and I would be dead. I put my biggest smile on and pushed as hard as I could until my partner and I pushed our way, still surrounded by the crowd who was moving with us, to the bus. The driver opened the door for us and was shoving back the horde until we got on. He closed the door behind us, got in his seat and immediately drove through the crowd slowly enough to let the crowd move off, but I don't think he'd have stopped for anyone.

I have been to very nasty corners of the world where things got tense very quickly, and that day in Bethlehem was the only time I felt my life was in imminent danger. I have never again allowed myself to become distracted or too focused on something to forget situational awareness. That lesson has served me well many times.

• 1 year later...

<p>Please be assured that the people hassling you were after your tourist dollars for buying dope/braiding hair/taking taxi rides/buying crafts.<br>

Your camera did not attract 'too much' attention, it was merely the fact you were a tourist.<br>

Even after growing up in Jamaica, I like to avoid the craft market, it's a jungle. Only thing I can recommend is a polite but firm 'no' to anyone offering you services, it when you simply ignore the vendors that they feel slighted.<br>

I would also ASK permission BEFORE taking a photo of someone's shop/craft table/photo etc. A large amount of Jamaicans are happy for you to take photos, but some are extremely adverse and some want you to pay.</p>