Leica M & R Lenses

heaver

I am new to Leica's.... so new I haven?t even got mine yet!!

For Christmas my lovely girlfriend has purchased an M6 (Body only)) and I am

now looking around at lenses.

Looking around I have found that R mount lens can be fitted onto an M series

Leica and they look a reasonable price!

What are these lenses like when used on an M6 or alike? are they of similar

quality to the 'M' mount lenses?

Secondly, various lenses come with 'Eyes' which i assume alter the viewfinder

on the M1/M2/M3. Do theses lenses work fine on the M6 Body with the 'Eye's'

removed?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Mark Heaver

1. Yes, the R lenses will work with M bodies if you buy a (rather costly) adapter. However, none of the lenses will couple with the rangefinder, so you're left to guessing for focusing. Not good for much anything longer than 35mm.

2. R lenses are Leicas, in and out.

3. The "goggles" alter the magnification of the lens on all Leica M bodies (except for the M5 and CL), not just the M3/2/1. The lens will not focus properly with the goggles removed.

Exception is the Dual-Range Summicron, which uses the goggles for close-focus work and requires the goggles to be removed for "normal" focusing distances (1m-Infinity).

Hope that helps, and congratulations on the new M6!

Thanks for that Erik.

So, looking through the earlier screw type lenses, with an adapter - the screw type lenses focus as the 'M' type does through the viewfinder? are the screw types of the same quality as the M type?

Also, I will be look for a lens either 28 or 35mm, something faster than a F2.8.... I would idealy like a 28mm but these seem more expensive.... any recomendations?

If you are new to rangefinders as well as new to Leica's I'd recommend just getting one lens and playing with that for a while to get you into the swing of things. You can't go wrong (in my humble opinion) with a 50mm Summicron - get the M version though for focussing ease as per Erik's post.

The 35mm Summicron's tend to cost a bit more than the 50mm versions - if 35mm is your favourite focal length then you can get some good lenses from Voigtlander that should fit the bill if budget is an issue.

Make sure you budget for a bucket load of c41 black and white film, get it processed and scanned at the same time and post the results up here!

We've posted at the same time...a lot of people rate the Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 - that is screw mount I think but with an adapter will work on your M. The Voigtlander 28mm lenses are also good. Make sure you get the correct adaptor(s) though as they need to bring up the correct framelines in the camera.

If it was me in order of preference I would buy a new Leica lens over any other, then a newer Voigtlander lens in preference to an older Leica lens as I've always been disappointed with older, screwmount Leica lenses by comparison to the new Voigtlander. Individual opinions vary though and you'll find it can be a fairly polarising issue!

I think the Voigtlander 28mm f1.9 seems a good option as I enjoy street photography and love using a wide angle lens on my D200... which i seem to keep my zoom lens below the 20mm focal range.

So in theory 20mm x 1.5 = 30mm so my calculations sugest i would like the 28mm on a leica?!?!

Lets see how my search goes!!

"So, looking through the earlier screw type lenses, with an adapter - the screw type lenses focus as the 'M' type does through the viewfinder?"

Yes, they do. You have to use the proper screw-mount to M adaptor to get the correct framelines. There are adaptors available for 35mm, 50mm, 90mm etc. lenses. They are all identical except for the cam which switches on the correct frameline.

"are the screw types of the same quality as the M type?"

Actually in the early days of M cameras Leitz sold their screw-mount lenses with a factory fitted adaptor. So the lens quality was the same for screw-mount and M Leicas at that time. In general, M lenses are newer designs and are supposed to have better optical quality. Remember that many of the screw-mount lenses were pre-war designs - at their time they were up to standards but probably cannot always compete with lenses such as the later M lenses designed decades later.

BTW you can even use dirt-cheap M42 (Pentax/Praktica-mount) lenses with an adaptor on a M Leica but you cannot use the rangefinder.

This is a great forum for opinions so here's one more. Forget the R lenses. The M6 was made for M lenses. Presumably you will have a good many years in which to use your Leica so pay a little more now to get the best lens you can - no regrets later. Most of us started with the 50mm lens and the new Elmar is excellent, as are any of the Summicrons. If you want a 35 the older Summarons are very good lenses as are the more expensive Summicrons. As mentioned, other brands of lenses will work on the M6 but you won't regret staying with Leica (Leitz) lenses. There is a very good reason for their reputation.

Good point from John...thanks

As much as I want to get the camera all complete with a lens, because I feel so enthusiastic to start using it, I still have my D200 and photography is only a hobby for me so I'm sure I can wait till my birthday (Mid Feb.) and ask my girlfriend to put some money in with me on a lens.

I still feel 28mm would be best, any recommendations?

I enjoy taking photos with wide angle lenses and as mentioned above worked out from my D200 that most of my photo?s have been taken with approx a 28mm equivalent.

Any one else enjoy street photography here? And what focal lengths of lenses do you use?

Slightly off topic (sorry).<br><I>Actually in the early days of M cameras Leitz sold their

screw-mount lenses with a factory fitted adaptor. So the lens quality was the same for

screw-mount and M Leicas at that time. </I><br>Winfried--I have an old 35mm f3.5

Summaron in M mount. Anyway to tell if it's actually a screwmount with a factory adapter. It

was (well) used when I bought it in 1966.

<I think the Voigtlander 28mm f1.9 seems a good option as I enjoy street photography and love using a wide angle lens on my D200... which i seem to keep my zoom lens below the 20mm focal range.

So in theory 20mm x 1.5 = 30mm so my calculations sugest i would like the 28mm on a leica?!?! >

I agree that it sounds a good option using your theory although I haven't used one. BUT I would suggest that you ignore your theory and instead have a look through your M6 various frame lines then decide what you fancy.

You may well find out just why a 35mm is so popular. If your camera has a 72 viewfinder then the 28mm does come out a long way to the sides so hard to see action going on outside the frame being shot.

If after looking you agree with me then try a 40mm by either Leica or Minolta or a chrome Ultron 1.7 35mm by Voigtlander. I have both (Rokkor and VC) and they both have merits. The 35mm Ultron gives good results and is a real match for the 35mm frame. The highly rated 40mm being a nice compact lens which looks really nice when fitted with an Ebay heavystar hood and still fits right into a standard ER Leica case.

Unless you/she have plenty of money in which case the 35mm Asph Summicron by Leica is lovely so I am told :-(

Affordable 28's? OK: CV28mm f3.5 (discontinued but still available), Kobalux, PasOptik 28mm f3.5 (I like these a lot: very, very compact), CV 28mm f1.9 Ultron (good but big), Konica Hexanon M 28mm f2.8 (mmmmmm), Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 (available new).

Lottery win? Leica 28mm Summicron (f2)

The 28mm/40mm combo is a good choice for street work IMHO.

The M6 I will be getting is the .72 (So I have been told.) in black

I take it when i get the camera body all frame lines will show when no lens is attached? or will I need to do something with the camera to bring them all up?

When using a wide angle lense i like a little perspective distortion in the image, not too much that the image becomes odd, but enough to change the picture slightly..... I know what I mean by this.... hope you all understand what I mean?!?!

Thats why I'm so stuck on the wider angles, plus I really enjoy getting into the picture and getting close to the subject!

I'll add to the 35mm lens equation. I've used 28mm lenses on SLRs, and they give a nice perspective. I also use the Leica M Elmarit Asph. 24mm f2.8 occasionally for landscape and architectural shots. Nevertheless, I have found the 35mm to be a much better all-around lens than any other, for my purposes. Years ago I spent 9 months in Europe with only a 35 (Summaron) and 135 Tele-Elmar. The 35 got used 90% of the time...lots of street shots (and tourist snaps). I would encourage you to look into a 35mm Summicron...it is quick and works great with any of the M cameras. As far as street shooting, IMHO, it can't be beaten for versatility...up close or at a distance. Whatever you decide...enjoy your new camera.

Hi Mark

With a .72 viewfinder and a 28mm lens, it may be difficult to see the entire frame and a 35mm lens may work out better. If you have the camera check the framelines for comfort before purchasing a lens. Do you wear glasses? If so, I would recommend you start with a 50mm lens so that you can see past the frame lines. That is one of the advantages to the Leica viewfinder, you can see things outside the picture frame or about to enter it.

If you happen to have the R SLR system, it might be worthwhile to get the cameraquest or other adapter to use the 28mm f2.8 on an M camera. I do this when I carry the Leica CL AND the Leicaflex SL on the same trip. As long as you want a 28 for you M's, Andy gives sound advice. On the CL, the R 28 is heavy, awkward, needs an external finder because the lens blocks the view through the viewfinder, and you're limited to hyperfocal settings.

So many lenses in the equation!!

Think I will initially look at a few 28mm lenses. The Kobalux/PasOptik 28mm lens looks a very good option due to its size.....How small are they!! lol

and secondly the CV 28mm f1.9, which seems the opposite in size but also looks like a very good lens for its money.

I will have a look around at prices tonight of the various Leica 28mm lenses as I cannot look at a certain electronic auction sites at work (Firewall!!) and I would prefer to wait for a Leica lens as long as they aren?t too highly priced!!

As for using a 28mm and the viewfinder showing the frame lines close to the viewfinders edge?. I will wait until I have the Leica before my purchase to see if this will become hindrance?. I don?t wear glasses so I don?t think I will have trouble in viewing the frames lines, but I will wait till I can judge myself.

I?m very surprised in how much of a response I?ve had to this post, and its nice to see so many opinions of people. Thanks for all the help all.

OK then, if you like the idea of the Kobalux 28mm here's some more info on them:

They are really, really thin - so you can just slip your M6 and Kobalux into your pocket. The flipside of this is that they only focus down to 1m which isn't that close if your coming from SLRville. They are out of production and don't come up for sale that often but if you watch ebay long enough you'll get one and they usually go pretty cheap compared to other Leica fit 28's. They are almost all LTM but there are at least a few M mount ones too (a lot of people claim they only made them in LTM mount but I have one in M mount and one in LTM so there!). The CV 28mm f3.5 (ltm) focusses a bit closer and is supposed to be a nice lens but I know a lot of people find it too contrasty whereas the Kobalux, for me, has a nice optical signature (sharp but not too sharp, contrasty but not too contasty and a slightly "old world" fingerprint, nice skintones too).

I have a Leica 28 2.8 that I use a lot on my M2 & M6. Great lense (3rd gen), Sharp w/ great colors & tone good for B&W or color. I use one of the small external CV 28mm bright line viewfinders for speed & good framing accuracy & zone focus for longer distances & smaller F stops and just use the rangefinder when I need more accuracy up close or in lower light. Best wishes, Jim.