EX 420 + EX 580 used with ST-E2

hop_phan

I have a 420ex, 430ex and a 580ex. When I was using the 580ex to control the other 2 - I switched to manual mode, and the 420ex didn't fire - I wrote it off to the fact that the 420ex does not have a manaul setting. It works fine in the ETTL mode.

Bear that in mind.

(If I am wrong - someone please inform me)

I use a 430EX, 420EX and ST-E2 together and they work great. Haven't needed to use a

wireless multiple flash setup in the blazing Hawaiian sun yet, but in all other situations it

has proven extremely reliable and flexible. Indoors the units will trigger without line-of-

sight, even 10 feet behind the ST-E2 and facing the wrong way! Outdoors you generally

need line of sight since their are no reflective walls and ceilings.

The main gotcha with the ST-E2 is it uses the same AF assist pattern as the 550EX

(designed for the 45 point AF array). Thus, it won't work with the top and bottom AF

points in the 9-point AF array. Works fine with the other points.

My ST-E2 review:

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/st_e2.htm

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"Keep in mind that the ST-E2 is very tempermental outside. It works great indoors, but if you're out in the sun, it will not be your favorite."

Keep in mind that the ST-E2 has it's own flash tube, and doesn't communicate using infrared leds as some think. Outside it's strictly line of sight, and it won't go through most umbrellas.

As a rule, the 580EX (original or II) are better controllers (in terms of coverage) (and a few other minor things).