A few questions for Samsung GX-1S users

frank_b._baiamonte

I just picked up a Samsung GX-1S (with 18-55 kit lens) for those times when I want something smaller

and simpler than the K10D. Only had it a day, but so far I like it. I do have a few questions for those

who've used one for a while now.

-The firmware is version 1.0. I tried to get the update shown on Samsung's website, but when you go to

actually download it you get an error message. Has anyone been able to upgrade firmware? My computer

is a Mac, but I don't know if that matters.

- I saw some earlier posts about SD cards larger than 1GB possibly being a problem. The manual and

Samsung website are not clear. All I have on hand right now are 2GB cards; with the camera set on highest

res jpg the top deck panel shows just short of 700 shots available, which sounds about right for that size

card. I recorded shots on the card and transferred them to the computer without problem, but nowhere

near enough to get over even 1GB of space. So, has anyone been using 2GB cards for any length of time

without problems (with firmware 1.0)?

- Has anyone had good results (or problems) with the rechargeable Li-Ion CR-V3 batteries? The manual

says that the voltage may cause problems, but I thought I saw an older post from someone here who was

using those.

- What kind of battery life are people getting from rechargeable AA NiMH batteries?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Thanks in advance, and happy holidays to everyone.

2G SD are fine, problems are with 4G or more.

About RCR-V3 opinions are very divergent. I use them on my K100D since nov last year without any problems.

Best AA NiMh are sanyo Eneloop. I get about 600 pictures without flash from one 2000mAh set

I've only used 1gb cards since my manual told me not to use 2gb, which I then confirmed on samsung toll free customer support phone number found on/in your manual. Being christmas day there might not be anyone answering.

I didn't realize there was a firmware upgrade. Anyone know what is was supposed to fix/improve/delete?

I'm using Duracell NiMH 2650 mAh. A recharged set lasts a day, 300-400images, and we carry 6 sets for 2 GX-1S. I like these batteries as the quick charger takes about 10 minutes to refill a drained baterry or 3 minutes to top off a previously charged battery.

We get 92 raw images on 1 gb.

Lindy