Macro Lens Purchase ?

mary_beth_aiello

I'm interested in getting into macro photography, and am interested in two

lenses. The Canon 100 macro, or the Canon 180 macro. Two good lenses with a big

price difference. I'd spend the money if it's worth it.

Advice?

Many thanks.

I have the Canon 30D, with a 70-200 f/4 IS, the 17-55, and 85 f/1.8, and the 50

f/1.8

Both are excellent (I hear, because I have used only the 100mm). The major difference in practical terms will be the distance from the subject that you can maintain. If, for example, you want to shoot butterflies, you will need to shoot from as far away as possible to avoid spooking them and the longer lens would be an advantage.

I also use my 100mm as a 100mm prime for various situations. I find the shorter length more useful in that context. I suspect the 100mm Macro is the sharpest lens I own.

It would help if you tell us what you intend to photograph. For wary subjects, the 180 is

best. For things that can't run away (such as flowers), a shorter macro would be perfectly

fine.

The Canon 60 macro has two disadvantages, IMO: it's for APS cameras only (you won't be

able to use it on a 5D or 1-series camera if you ever get one of those), and it's too short: the

lens-to-subject distance is very small at high reproduction ratios.

Right now, I'm photographing (with my Canon 50 1/8) stationary subjects, such as tops of straws, acorns, toothpicks, berries. I'd never shoot spiders or flies, but may try wings of butterflies and close-ups of flowers. May also shoot patterns on rotting barns or other outdoor structures. Is this helpful?

As for the camera upgrade, I'm loving my Canon 30D, but may upgrade to a 5D in several years.

Macro lens are made at multiple focal length for good purpose. There is no one size fit all. If 50mm feel comfortable to you then get the 60mm macro as sugested above. 180mm give you more distant between the edge of the lens and the subject (for the extra $) but with it, weight size and the need for a tripod. If you want just a little more distant and don't mind a little weight and size then 100mm is good.

I have both, but if I had to keep just one, it would be the 100mm. It is much smaller, cheaper, and lighter and, on a 30D with the 1.6 focal length conversion, it is a good focal length for many things. Flowers and most insects are quite workable with the 100. For really skittish critters, the 180 is a big plus, but remember: 180 was considered a long macro in 35mm film days. A 100 is effectively 160...just about what we considered "long" not long ago. Bottom line: unless you have a specific need for the 180, get the 100. If you really need the 180 later, you can get that as well or resell the 100.

I currently own the 180 and have previously owned the 100, both fine lenses. I would say if you can afford the 180, go for it. The IQ is a little better as is the quality of the OOF areas,and as has been mentioned, the extra working space is very nice. You're also getting a very good telephoto lens with the deal.

The 100 is smaller, lighter and obviously more expensive. An excellent lens in it's own right. Good luck.

I agree with Anthony.

I also have both the Canon EF macro lenses.

On 1.6X, the 100mm is about as long as I'd suggest, particularly if you handhold the lens.

My 180 is a carryover from my film days, and sees much less use currently with my three 1.6X D-SLRs. It's slower auto focusing than the 100mm and has to be stopped down a lot at high magnification, due to razor thin depth of field. The result is long shutter speeds and difficulty hand holding it. Plan on tripod use most of the time with it. Not that the 180 isn't a great lens. It is. But, it doesn't double as a normal distance telephoto nearly as well as the 100mm does.

So, for use on your current cameras I'd suggest the 100mm instead.

There are some darned good third party macro lenses, too. I've got older Tamron SP 90mm lenses that I use in two vintage systems (manual focus). I haven't used their AF versions of that lens, or their 180mm. I also haven't used, but have heard many good reviews of the various Sigma macro lenses: 50, 70, 105, 150 and 180mm. Tokina's 100mm macro is reportedly very good, too.

Note that the Canon 100mm doesn't come with a lens hood or a tripod mounting ring. Those items are both optional accessories that cost additional. The ring is another $150 approx. Some people use the lens without it. I like using it, personally, and have it fitted with a long Arca-Swiss lens plate that acts like a "poor man's" macro focusing stage. The matching Canon lens hood for the 100mm macro is simply huge, so that it can reverse for storage I think. A third party 58mm hood for a short tele can be substituted, a lot smaller and cheaper but not as convenient to store.

Personally I'm not a fan of the flat lighting of a ringlight, but it may be what you are looking for. I use a slightly modified version of the Canon MT-24EX (main difference is it's fitted to a Stroboframe/Lepp Macro Bracket, rather than the Canon mounting system). I also often use a single 550EX with an off-camera-shoe-cord for macro. There are a lot of other macro lighting options, too.

Another option would be to get a set of extension tubes - works well with the 50/1.8 and the 85/1.8, and perhaps also the 70-200/4 IS. This would allow you to choose focal lengths.

You may be able to get IS working with your 70-200/4 which may be a huge advantage while shooting at 200 mm. Perhaps some folks here would have the answer to that. I've shot my 200/2.8 with tubes - difficult to handhold but the bokeh is awesome.

<I>Another option would be to get a set of extension tubes - works well with the 50/1.8

and the 85/1.8, and perhaps also the 70-200/4 IS.</i><P>

I use tubes fairly routinely with the 70-200/4 IS. They work fine but you have to get used

to them: with tubes you need to refocus whenever you zoom, and you get the most

magnification from the shortest focal lengths.<P>

Quality is certainly pretty good (depends on how much extension and what focal length

and, of course, what f-stop). But unsurprisingly, it's not as good as what's possible with a

dedicated macro lens.

If you don't want to spend too much, pay attention to Mark Chappell.

You can see here two pictures, one with 50 mm 1.8 and 2 extension tubes of 25 and 12 canon and the other with the 100 mm macro Canon. Of course, the versatility of the 100 mm is huge and it is a very good lens.

IMG_2197

IMG_2199

You can seee which is which through the exif. The photos were taken very quickly and without tripod.

A tripod ring is usually found on long telephotos where the balance is improved by using it. Using them can also reduce the stress on the lens mount. It makes switching between vertical and horizontal compositions easier. It is not required for good photos per se.

BTW, I also recommend the 100mm macro for the purposes you gave.

"Do you have to use the tripod ring collar for good photos? what is the purpose of a tripod ring collar?"

On a 30D, when the subject you want to fill the screen is arround 50mm wide or smaller (near 1:2 magnification), most lenses' (macro lens included) manual focus ring or auto focus begin to be in-effective. One will need to focus by moving the camera+lens back and fore. This get harder as the magnification become larger (subject to fill the sensor smaller). In addition, as magnification increase, the picture is more sensitive to camera movement and vibration. At some point, for best result, one need to put the camera on a focus rail and the focus rail on a tripod. The purpose of the tripod ring collar is for you to hook up the lens to the focusl rail or tripod. Note: Canon's 100mm can fit a tripod ring collar but it does not come with one for the price listed.