Update with someone taking photos off here w/o permission

Apparently, since my last post/question about it...several of you have noticed

it happened to you as well. I went again to the site...they have since used

ANOTHER photo off my portfolio here (without permission)

(http://www.prherald.hu/cikk2.php?idc=20071207-200557&id2=elso&idl=) ...and what

is worse...apparently THIS SITE (photonet) is where they get all of their

artwork. If you scroll down on the page to right under the article on the

left...It lists (in Hungarian) what looks like other articles in that issue. I

clicked on SEVERAL of them...all list an "illustrator" who when I then googled

the name...are photonet subscribers. It seems like whoever it is taking

them...is just coming here to get their shots. I don't know if anything can be

done about this since it is on such a large scale of so many of us. I wouldn't

mind so much someone using my work...but I feel since it is clearly

copyrighted..they should at least have to ask for permission before simply

lifting it from my page. (and yours!) I DID try to email the person listed on

the page..I heard nothing back. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jodie

That's disturbing. I think the most potent response to the site is for photo.net to write on behalf of all folks whose images are being listed. But, I'm not sure what this means but the site seems journalistic, they're noting the illustrator, and since they're not north american it adds another wrinkle as far as any legal pursuit. The scary part is you just happened upon this site, but how many others are doing it?

Sounds like you need a lawyer in Hungry, each county has it's own copyright laws. I'm not

endorsing it but it seems if the images are not used for commercial reasons there is nothing

that can be done. The site doesn't claim that they took/own the photos and they did spell

you name right so the only thing you can do is ask them to take them down.

William...my point was it isn't just ME they are doing it to. They have taken many, many photos off of this site...not just mine. This is where they are getting their illustrations.

And...no..they did NOT get the first photo they took off my portfolio credited correctly. Again, my concern. They listed me as the photographer, and I was NOT. Again, it was a photo I posted on here with permission BY the actual photographer Brendan Lemke to be rated. I clearly stated HIS name in all the copyright information sections, and right in the title even. So...no..they are not crediting the actual photographer for all of the work they are simply uploading.

Once you have posted an image on the web there is little you can do to stop someone copying it. If you do not want this to happen you should only post low resolution images that are not much use for publication and either watermark your images or not post on the web at all.

Personally if someone pinches one of my images for a blog or whatever and credits me I am not too concerned. People who want to use your images seriously will, in my experience, offer to pay.

They're obviously violating copyright laws, but Hungarian laws? The problem is that they

may have discovered you can't hotllink to images on photo.net without going through the

individual image Web page which displays all the information. But you can display and

save the individual image. I would argue the folks at Photo.net should write them to at

least link the photographer (illustrator) listed on their Web pages to the proper Photo.net

Web page for that image or the photographer.

I know some people hate hotlinks, but it's not illegal or really unethical if it's credited and

linked. And for what it's worth:

prherald.hu (Hungary)

The domain that you requested, prherald.hu, has already been registered by the

organization below. Please click here to see other options for this name. As an alternative,

you can also let the Domain Brokers from Sedo acquire prherald.hu on the secondary

market for you.

Registrant:

Private person

Varga Mih�ly

Alvinci utca 14/a.

1022 Budapest

HU

Phone: 3151877

EV2 Domain-Admin (domreg@ev2.hu)

R�na utca 120-122.

1149 Budapest

HU

Phone: +36 1 4600103

Fax: +36 1 2211102

Information Source:

Council of Hungarian Internet Providers

You're free to contact his ISP.

Yes, you have the "law" on your side, but any first year law student knows that any law which cannot be enforced is no law at all. The American courts are clogged with such suits and complaints, and the calendars are hopelessly backed up. Justice delayed is justice denied. Get used to it. Hire a lawyer.

They got one of mine too. However I had a different reaction. First I was interested in what the article said - and if I could figure that out, I'd know why the chose that image. It didn't really bother me that they grabbed one for their article. I'm sure this happens about 10 billion times a day all over the planet. However since I do not derive my living from my photography, I can see the other side of argument. Heck, if nothing else I can tell all my friends my work has been published. I'm big in Hungry. MP

Just a note: there are international agreements about copyright, so this is not purely a matter of local law, nor is it true that there are huge variances in actual law from one nation to another, at least those who subscribe to the international treaties. Enforcement of these international treaties (read, law) is another matter altogether.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but I have personally been troubled by the complexities of international copyrights under the most recent agreements.