Canon G9 Powershot

hjoseph7

OK, I'm chimming in a little late here. But I found this post useful as I was contemplating buying a G9 yesterday and eventually did. For those of you reading this, I have to say after several other P&S (Olympus, Fuji) which are now on Ebay, this camera is fantastic.

I expected some shutter lag, but sitting in the Best Buy parking lot in the dark I was able to fire off tack sharp, crystal clear shot's with no perceiveble shutter lag at all. I bet if I was shooting a sporting event instead of parked car's there's be some lag percieved but this thing focuses, processes and fires FAST!

As for it not being as fast as SLR's I'm not so sure about that. While it can't hold a candle to my Canon EOS bodies which focus and fire instantaneously except in terrible light, I found this G9 out performed my Sony A100 SLR on focus speed. Yes that's right. By the time the Sony Alpha focuses, the G9 has focused, gotten through it's processing and taken the shot.

It's rangefinder style and shape is perfect for it's intended purpose.

Buy it!

• 3 weeks later...
I've owned the G9 for about a month now and have taken some great shots with it. It is great for its intended purpose, so I'm not sure it's fair to compare it to the SLR's. However, if you want great photos with something that is easy to carry, the G9 is fantastic!

• 4 weeks later...
The G9 is great. It's a P&S not a DSLR, but it is probably the best P&S on the market. It's fun, has great build quality, the images look great and it's a proper camera with proper camera functions. It can be used as a P&S with everything set to automatic or you can take your time to get to know the camera well and then you can get some really high quality images with this little gem. As it shoots RAW files you have the choice of putting the files through Photoshop for proper processing and colouring. BUT PLEASE NOTE: Only CS3 will process the files, no previous version of Photoshop will. So to make the most of the camera (without having to deal with the Canon software) you will need to upgrade to CS3.

Anders wrote: <p>

<<<i> ... Only CS3 will process the files, no previous version of Photoshop will. ... </i>>> <p>

I don't have the G9, but I would think someone could convert G9 raw files to DNG's, using Adobe's converter, then work on the DNG's using older versions of Photoshop.<p>

Am I correct ?<p>

thanks