I apologize, because I know many similar posts have been made... but I am

about to buy my first lights, and I keep debating back and forth. I want to

just get a two light starter kit and have been torn over whether to get

hensels or white lightnings. I'm trying to stay under $1500. I like the

hensel kit better but white lightning offers a better warrenty and I hear

better customer service. Right now, these would simply be for my own projects

(i'm about to go back to school for my mfa, but i want them to last a long

time.) Any thoughts?

Both are very good but essentially similar products.

Whenever buying gear like this where a substantial amount of money is at stake you need to consider why you are prejudiced in one direction or another: Is this leaning based on advertising, what strangers (who may or may not have ties to a company) say, what people you know say, or from hands on experience?

You also have to look at cost of ownership issues. While electronic flash gear rarely needs repairs, how much will it cost to replace similar components, particularly modeling lights and flash tubes, and how much will will it cost to repair (including shipping and down time) components like capacitors and triacs if something drastic happens?

Erin, I hear that Buff has great customer service, but I've also never had anything but stellar from B&H. So "better"? I'd be interested in how that term came about to be used.

You may want to look at your path of upgrading. What do you want to be using in 2 to 5 years? Not that you can make a greatly educated guess about this, but it's a start. Then look at the options from each kit.

I have been shooting with White Lightning, professionally, since 1990 and have absolutely no complaints about the lights or the service. I am still using some of the original lights with the original flash tubes--and they are very economical to replace, in any case.

I also have a Hensel Porty system and recently tried to replace my batteries and Hensel was totally unresponsive to my supplier. After 3 months of this and apparently other problems, the supplier said they terminated their distributorship with Hensel. I only know what they said and will be trying to replace the batteries thru BH or Samy's in LA. If you can, call Samy's and see if they are getting good service from Hensel--that would be my only concern with that system.