Colors not printing true...please read on....

I'm having a tough time getting true colors in my prints (I know, the age-old

struggle). Anyway, my monitor is calibrated, and the pictures look absolutely

true-to-life on screen. Recently, I finally caved and realized that sending the

pictures out to be printed (via Kodak Gallery) was much more cost effective than

doing them at home (not to mention the printing machines used are tens of

thousands of dollars and undoubtedly far more sophisticated than my dinky little

Canon). However, I'm continually disappointed at the results. They lack

"punch" and seem to have a slight green cast. Are there any steps I can take to

ensure that I get what I'm seeing on my screen? And just to add...when I DO

print them at home, the color comes out very true to what I'm seeing in PS

(after making a slight magenta adjustment, but at least it's consistent and can

be applied to all pictures I print). Thanks.

Others more knowledgeable than I can probably give you a better answer but you need to get a profile of the printer you?re using. I know some machines tend to print a little green, my local Walmart does that. Mpix will give you a printer profile if you email support and ask for one. Or you might be able to have them print an IT8 target and send it out to get a custom profile. Of course that only works if you get the same printer every time? And just to make sure you're using SRGB and not AdobeRGB correct?

"Are there any steps I can take to ensure that I get what I'm seeing on my screen? "

I don't know about the specifics with Kodak Gallery, but basically you need a print profile from them. If they don't provide such, then the expectation is likely that they want the file converted to sRGB. If this is already what you're doing, just switch services. They're a dime a dozen.

I use EZPrint sometimes, and they do provide profiles. Costco's 1hr service used to (perhaps still do) even provide profiles for the specific printer at the store.

"... not to mention the printing machines used are tens of thousands of dollars and undoubtedly far more sophisticated than my dinky little Canon"

Actually, the dinky little Canon probably has a wider gamut than theirs, and perhaps slightly higher resolution.

Thanks to both of you for the ideas. I am working in Adobe RGB (another debate I keep getting caught in the middle of...sRGB vs Adobe RGB). Is that likely to make a difference in the output?

I will check for Kodak's profile.

Good to know about the Canon...that kinda makes me feel better. I just wish Canon made 5X7 matte photo paper. Oh well.

"I am working in Adobe RGB (another debate I keep getting caught in the middle of...sRGB vs Adobe RGB). Is that likely to make a difference in the output?"

That could be the problem. IF they accept AdobeRGB as a profile then no issues. But if they don't the colors will be way off. As a quick way to see, do this:

Open up an image in Photoshop.

Go to Edit - Convert to profile - "select AdobeRGB"

Now you have an image in AdobeRGB that should look fine.

Right click on the image and duplicate.

Take the duplicate image and go to Edit - Assign Profile - "SRGB"

This is what the image would look like if the printer is not set up to accept AdobeRGB and assigns SRGB to it. Is this what you are seeing?

The classic advice is always "get hold of their printer profile", but in practice it seldom makes any difference.

Chances are they'll be expecting files to be using an sRGB (either expressed or implied) - this is a device independent standard, which they should be calibrated to; The problem is that many aren't.

My suggestion would be to make up your own colour chart - have it printed by a variety of shops - see which is the closest - and stick with them.

Failing that, get a custom printer just for doing your own, and have a custom profile made for that.

Cheers,

Colin

i been sending images to kodakgallery.com for a long time. i shoot adobe RGB from beginning to end, and i send the RGB images to kodak. there is NO wrong color printing from them. they are accepting RGB and using it without ANY problems.

i am also sending the same thing(RGB) to jumbogiant.com and also have no problems getting the right colors.

You should check to see what profile they need for printing - sRGB, Adobe RGB, etc. They may also have the printer set to automatically adjust color balance. Probably most images they recieve for printing were not adjusted using a calibrated monitor or may be straight from the camera with auto white balance. Since yours are adjusted using a calibrated monitor, you don't what them to modify the color balance - ask how you should request no color balance adjustments during printing. They should apply the printer profile so it corrects the printer to a standard.

I get the best results when I use a Professional photofinisher, but cost is also much higher. I now try to print myself using a pigment inkjet photo printer.

You sound like you can see the color difference, so just make a curve as if your image looked

like the print but on screen and apply it to all images you are sending to Kodak. If it looks

too green, add magenta. If it lacks punch or contrast, add contrast and see how they come

back. That is what we used to to in the early days of inkjet printing, when generic profiles

were very weak. Now it is all about custom icc printer profiles. Give me a shot at printing

your images, you will be happy. Good luck!

I do make sure to select NO color adjusting on the Kodak web site, so I don't think that's the problem.

I just sent a test shot to EZ Print...we'll see how that compares.

This whole color mgmt thing is so frustrating...I've researched and researched about proper settings in PS and the importance of calibration, color spaces, profiles,etc...and then when I got desperate yesterday, I switched PS back to "Let printer determine colors" (plus a small magenta tweak) and it's the best result I've gotten yet. Figures. I guess sometimes less is more.

Just wanted to say thank you for this post. I was having same problem. I have never printed my images, but my friends have and I always cringe at the results.. mortified and embarrassed. I will check some of the things suggested here now. Tx.