Calibration of calibration device - Eye One Display 2

Hello!

I'm embarassed to say that i bought an Eye One Display 2 a few months ago, and I still can't figure out

some basic things

The tutorial says to calibrate the device itself, but i was confused about if i am supposed to put it on a

black surface. The instructions says to put the plastic cover on it and says nothing about a black surface,

and the accompanying drawing looks like the person is just holding it instead of putting it on a surface...

I'm not even sure if the instructions and the tutorial actually were written specifically for the Eye One

Display 2, it might have been for an older version of it...

can anyone give me any information on this?

thank you!

I have the eye-one display 2 and as it happens I just calibrated my laptop display this afternoon, so it's fresh in my mind. I agree that the documentation really stinks, but all in all, it's remarkably straightforward. I didn't see anything about calibrating the device itself.

When I ran the software today, at first it didn't find the device. That seems to be because I had it plugged into a USB port on the side of my computer that the software doesn't like. When I plugged it into the back of the computer all was well and I was able to proceed.

Then, when I started the software, I was asked if I wanted to take the easy route or the advanced/hard route. I can't remember the terms of the choice precisely, but I chose easy. And indeed it was. Took 5-10 minutes. Did not make a dramatic change to my display but I had calibrated it a month or two ago and I guess it hasn't drifted much.

Have you launched the software? I found that it guided me through the process pretty well.

Dark calibration is just that, the sensor is calibrating itself by measuring black (the absence

of light). The software usually asks you to do this prior to calibration. You just place the

sensor side down on say a table (something that wouldn?t allow light to enter). You're

calibrating the instrument.

With a Spectrophotometer, you're measuring a reflective print, there's a light source IN the

instrument so its calibrated by measuring a white tile that ships with the unit. A Colorimeter

is the opposite. It measures emissive so it needs a dark calibration.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Great!

So for the Eye One Display 2, which I think is a colorimeter (it's to measure the light/colors

in a computer monitor), then I put it on table during the calibration of the instrument (ie

the Eye One Display 2 itself), right? I read in some places to put it on a black surface but

I'm assuming you mean the same thing - just calibrate it with absence of light

That helps alot, thank you!