<p>

Leica M6 TTL<br>

2 tiny lenses

<p>

15" ThinkPad

<p>

Other bits and pieces

<p>

I have been having a hard time deciding whether I actually want to take all this

stuff over. I'll probably take one of the two big zooms so I have some sort of

tele option available. I'll be staying with relatives, so leaving some or all of

the gear at the house during the daytime will not be a problem. I'll probably

take a separate smaller bag in my checked luggage so I don't have to lug

everything around.

<p>

I'm also undecided on the laptop -- they are living in the stone age and have no

computer or internet, but I would like to be able to copy and edit/review photos

while I'm there. Taking the laptop would also make dealing with storage much

less of an issue (I only have one 4GB CF card). I have no idea how I would get

the laptop over there if I didn't have a large laptop/camera bag. I think the

only option would be to put all my photo gear in a big laptop case, which would

preclude taking the grip and big zooms.

<p>

Someone suggested the Tamrac Adventure 9, which seems absolutely ideal.

Unfortunately, it appears to be slightly larger than either the Heathrow or Air

Canada carry-on restrictions:

<p>

Adventure 9: 20 x 13 x <b>11</b><br>

Air Canada: 21.5 x 15.5 x <b>9</b><br>

Heathrow: 22 x 17 x <b>10</b>

<p>

Are the outer dimensions of the bag flexible at all? Could I squash it 2" to fit

the Air Canada restriction? Can anyone suggest a different bag? Any thoughts on

which gear I should take with me?

Not a ton of choices to carry all you are looking for, but I have the Tamrac 614 shoulder bag and Lowepro CompuTrekker back pack. Like them both. The 614 is huge for jobs, not great for travel. The Computrecker is a great travel/carry-on back pack. Not as convent as a shoulder bag for swaps, but great for carrying. Laptop bags a big, if you can get by with two bags, that is my choice for travel.

m

If you are willing to, you can take two bags. In my travels around asia and within the States, I carry a domke f6 bag for my photo gear (the same as yours without the 100-400 lens and leica gear) and a roler/backpack for my computer/books/mags, etc. They both can fit in the overhead and I have never had a problem getting them on the plane.

With my set up and your gear, I would put the SLR stuff (minus one of the big lenses) in the Domke and the leica gear in with the computer. This may not work for you, but my main point is to consider two bags... that would make things easier.

Cheers and have a good trip.

Carry-on luggage restrictions appear to be highly flexible, despite apparently rigid rules that say otherwise. You can always be unlucky of course, which I why I recommend being able to temporarily take pieces out and stuffing them into pockets of a vest if your bag is challenged or required to be gate-checked. Watching other travellers you will see a great many of them push the envelope and get away with it. I have noticed that shopping bags appear to be ignored completely in the "count", so you may be able to get away with putting some things you need for the flight into a nice new-looking shopping bag. Most important, never ask permission either by a phone call or at the check-in desk...look confident and have a plan if you are challenged.

The Lowepro Rover AWII is my universal camera bag that lives on me when I travel. I can just get my tiny laptop into the top part when I am flying, but yours would definitely not fit. Thinking that the CompuRover AW would be a step up in usefulness, I bought one, and find I have not used it. The lower compartment seems to be slightly smaller than my Rover AWII, certainly it is more awkward to get into. The laptop sleeve would fit your laptop though. You would have to pare down the amount of equipment you were taking to use the bottom section.

Lately when I travel I have the Rover AWII, plus a smallish computer bag with my laptop. I believe most airlines allow one carry-on plus one "personal item" that is defined as a purse or briefcase, even for economy travel. I always have two pieces when I fly with Air Canada, and have not had a problem at Heathrow even since the tightened restrictions. There is often a weight restriction on carry-on luggage, when you stand in line be careful to look as though your carry-on is as light as a feather...highly unlikely they will actually weigh it unless you grunt and groan and look as though you are bowed under! I have never had a backpack challenged, although I have had small suitcases and briefcases weighed.

When I visit UK I travel around and do many different things. Last two trips I only used my long lens on about two occasions, representing maybe 10-15 shots out of some 1500 total per trip. YMMV, especially if you are specifically looking for wildlife shots, or sports, but you may find that the big lenses could be lower priority if you have to leave some equipment behind.

Whatever you do, don't put any equipment apart from things like power cords and battery chargers into checked luggage. I foolishly put my P2000 into my checked bag the other day, and the case was riffled and the P2000 gone. This on flights within the US. Thought it worth mentioning FWIIW.

Hope this is helpful.

Louise

Thanks Louise, that is very helpful. Everyone seems to be saying I shouldn't worry quite so much about the dimensions of the bag. I may end up just buying the Tamrac bag I mentioned, since it seems like a good size. It's also flexible, so I could probably squash it down if they were strict.

I'm surprised you were able to get away with the two pieces of carry-on. Air Canada does allow a laptop as a second piece of luggage, but the Heathrow web site says one piece quite clearly, and they have been fairly strict about things since the new security measures were put in place. It's too bad they will only be easing them after I get back!

Honestly, I don't think the teles would get a lot of use either, but they are my only lenses longer than 50mm. I would hate to get there and discover I wanted something longer. I will probably end up only taking one of them.

I think I will definitely be taking the laptop. I don't have any means of storing extra photos right now, so I would have to buy a portable storage device. I would also find it very frustrating to be there for three weeks without any way to review or work on photos, especially since I will have all that free time without the internet ;)

I have not had problems with Lowepro CompuTrekker AW. Although when fully stuffed to capacity it is `too thick` to fit through the gate template

The two outside pockets, I empty, leaving it quite `thin enough to pass`.

I choose this bag because the computer fits into its separate zip up section, at the base of the bag.

WW

I would also recommomend the LowePro Compu trekka AW also. I bought one 3 months ago and it is a very good travel bag. One thing I would suggest is to check the dimensions of your laptop. Although the bag specs suggested my widescreen toshiba would fit in fine it is a very tight fit and I have been tempted to smother my laptop in some kind of lubrication to get it to fit in.

Best of luck with your decision.

GH

Are you really going to use all those lenses? I know from my experience I end up lugging a package along similar to what you have, and end up using two lenses. I would leave the laptop at home if it was me, go to newegg or B&H or buydig and buy some more CF cards. This past summer I took the notebook pc for the first time on a week trip to the Oregon coast. I ended up spending way too much time every evening fiddling with the PC and adjusting pics in PS...and I was traveling by car. If you do decide to ignore my advice, take some blank DVDs to burn copies for your guests...they could at least see them while you're there or play on dvd player? good luck, Tom.

I have the Tamrac Adventure 9. I highly recommend it. I took it as carry-on on my recent trip to Europe including on some small planes. It looks so close in size to other carry on bags that it never raised any issues even if it may have missed the strict size requirements.

My guess is you will probably have to leave one of your big lenses behind. I typically pack a Xt, Sigma 10-20, 24-105L, 70-210, a second film body or P&S, with room for one more prime up to the size of the 100 macro.

Tom, it's a family trip, but we will be going to a lot of places with an emphasis on photography. I'll be staying with my grandparents for most of the time, so I don't have to worry about hotel rooms or travelling by car. I've been meaning to buy a bag that can hold all my gear, as I have no way of transporting the two big zooms other than then original Canon cases. This seems like an ideal time to pick up something.

There are two other options. I can buy an 85/1.8, ditch the big zooms, and try to cram everything into my LowePro Nova 3 (would be a very tight fit). What would I do with the laptop then? Air Canada allows you to take a laptop as a secondary item, but there's no guarantee I would be allowed to get on the return plane at Heathrow. The other option is doing the same thing, but trying to cram everything into a regular laptop case. I'm pretty sure I could do that with a bit of fiddling, but it would be messy.

The one carry-one restriction from the UK will <a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007/nov/14/theairlineindustry.transportintheuk?gusrc=rss&feed=11">soon be lifted</a>.

<p>

I have used a LowePro trekker to carry far more gear than you. I managed to fit 3 SLRs (Canon D30, Nikon FM3A, Nikon D100), 1 flash (Canon 550EX), 6 lenses (Canon 20mm, 24-85mm, 50mm, 135mm SF, Nikon 60mm AF macro, 45mm f/2.8P), a laptop and an iPod, but my laptop was an ultralight 12" Toshiba back then.

I would recommend the Lowepro Vertex range, especially the Lowepro Vertex 200AW (18.5 x 12.6 x 10.2) don't worry about the 10.2" depth, it will easily compress and bears Lowepro's 'airplane' symbol as being suitable for 'Airline Carry-on'. http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/Vertex_200_AW.aspx

You could also consider the smaller Vertex 100 - but try your laptop for size first, it's rated for a 14" widescreen, but should take all your photo gear with ease.

I bought the 200 a while ago to replace a smaller Tamrac Expedition 5 - the Lowepro is far more comfortable in use (excellent harness) and is so well designed for digital gear.

Check this site out for better pictures than on Lowepro's own site - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-LOWEPRO-VERTEX-200AW-200-AW-CAMERA-BAG-BACKPACK_W0QQitemZ120191388076QQihZ002QQcategoryZ64336QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm very happy with my ThinkTank Airport acceleration - up to 15" laptop either as a separate

bag if allowed/needed, or in its own compartment on the bag with the photogear stuff (result

: one legal "bag". Very versatile and fits the smaller overhead compartments. It can hold

more weight than some limits so look "casual"! !

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtAccel.php

>>> The other option is doing the same thing, but trying to cram everything into a regular laptop case. I'm pretty sure I could do that with a bit of fiddling, but it would be messy. <<<

I would not recommend this method of carriage.

I have HAD to do this once: but not my choice.

Apart from it not being the best method of packing camera gear, the other issue is, it is a real pain in the butt if security requires a full physical search of the bag.

Also, unless you packed a camera bag in your hold luggage (then why bother?); you carry around a laptop bag all through the holiday, which is likely not ergonomically efficient on your back and most messy to get the correct photographic equipment in and out.

It is always good to consider every possibility: but I would seriously ditch this option.

WW

Separate your equipment "transport" case and the shooting bag. For the latter - roll your own: get a bag of your choice (one that doesn't look like a photo bag...), get Domke, Tenba, etc. inserts, dividers and wraps for your equipment, some velcro and organize it to your needs. As for the former, I use a Pelican 1510 rolling case with dividers and a lid pocket. It's allowed as a carry-on in the US/Canada and on flights from/to N. America. (It'll go in the hold on puddle-jumpers but that's no biggie as you check it in while boarding. Also, a big photo backpack will go in the hold on small planes, too...)

That's the plan, Michael. I've used Pelican cases before, and like them a lot. It looks like the 1510 is designed to fit within carry-on restrictions (other than weight!). However, I don't fly very often, so it probably makes more sense to buy a "transport" backpack I might use on a more regular basis. I've been meaning to get a bag that can hold all my stuff, including the big zooms, as I only have a Lowepro Nova 3 right now.

I've decided that I definitely want to take the laptop and at least the 70-200, so I need to pick a backpack today. I'm pretty much down to a couple of bags. The Tamrac adventure 9 I mentioned before will only hold one large zoom, which bugs me since I quite like the design. The other bag is the Lowepro CompuTrekker, which will hold everything. I really like the look of the Vertex 200, but it's too large to take as carry-on on a lot of flights (both in dimensions and based on reports from other people). I am also going to order a little domke J-803 for day trips with a camera and lens or two. Any suggestions on inserts?

I'm a little worried about taking so much valuable equipment with me without insurance. I don't have homeowner's or renter's insurance, so I can't add my gear to a policy or anything like that.

Well, I'm not current with photo bags (I try to avoid anything that looks like a "photo bag") but for the Domke bag pick the inserts to hold the body the way you carry it ready to use: with a short zoom attached I carry my cameras on their "backs", with the lens sticking up. Of course this doesn?t work for 70-200, but you can always "squish" the insert and place the camera sideways. It all depends on your style and the amount of "babying" of your cameras. But a camera is after all a tool so it does get dinged and scratched every now and then... I also use Domke wraps for extra protection, esp. when carrying my camera in a plastic shopping bag (which happens quite often :-))) A plastic bag is also a good rain cover in a pinch...

As for insurance, call you friendly agent: there are many options of short-term coverage. You know, what's a 100 bucks compared to a few thousand...