Cutting the cord on a potential problem client.

keithdunlop

When her jaw hit the floor the she should go with what makes her happy, I would have said hire the other photographer. I would not want to be second choice or at least not told I was. That was rather insulting I think and your gut is right just stay away. She will have post purchase anxiety even after a deposit. Showing no class or tact means you are in for a world of hassle if you do shoot the wedding.

Over an hour on the phone and a three hour meeting and you don't have a dime from them! What do you do with your spare time?

Cut this one loose, nicely. Every bone in my body tells me that you will have nothing but trouble with this couple. Even if it is not complaints, they will take up far more of your time than the average couple. This drags down your hourly income and takes away time that you could spend working to get other clients.

I never, ever, chase clients. If they want to book me, they come and book me. If they are indecisive, I let them go off and make their decision. Usually, they come back and book. I had one client who called me while they were still on their way home. They said, "Can we come back and book our date?" They came back, signed the contract and gave me a check.

It is very, very, very, very, hard to learn to let work get away. The truth is that you are not the photographer for every client and every client is not the client for you. You just have to let me them go.

Ed

>>> Discounts are a business decision and there are different views. <<< (JH)

Yes, there are differing views. I did not discount, and the studio still does not discount.

We prefer to give something extra, a physical gift or some time / or portrait session pro bono, and invoice it accordingly: i.e. `pro bono`; `gift, no charge`; `Wedding Present, with our Compliments`

There is a difference; and IMO it is a long term and strategic difference.

WW

I HATE emails. I NEVER use them. Call them and find out whats going on before blowing them off and a chance to make a few bucks. It's the Holiday gift buying season, they also need to book and leave deposits with everyone else along with you. I've held dates many times through the years because the wedding couple is stapped for money.

If you don't like them and you should know this after a 3 hour interview, then perhaps refer them to another studio. If you enjoyed meeting them it seems like an easy thing to call them up.

Keith,

You are getting the run around from these potential clients and I would cut your losses now. Let's look at a few points:

- Originally she loved your work and wanted to book you. She gave a specific budget and later retracted it.

- She asked for a discount without also compromising on lowering package options. Friday wedding or not do you slack off on your work on Fridays?

- She grilled you on the phone for an hour. I have spoken with potential clients on the phone for this amount of time before but it's usually a "getting to know you" type call where we end up talking about TV shows and other things off-topic. Don't ask me how that happens but it's usually those clients who are easy to get along with at the actual wedding. If I were grilled on the phone like that playing 20 questions (or 150 questions, as it may be) I would have politely hung up the phone. You should never feel like you are being interrogated about your work.

- She insulted you by asking you to plagiarize another photographer's work. If her jaw dropped to the floor then she should have went with him/her and been done with it. And it's yet another demand in a long list of demands. You did respond properly with this request.

- 3 hour meeting??? I've never had a meeting last longer than an hour! What took so long?

- The language "putting the wedding on the back burner" is an exact "string along" line. I wouldn't doubt other vendors are getting the same message and they are probably rolling their eyes at her at this point.

My advice? Cut the cord. As others have said your gut instinct should be followed and even though I've been photographing weddings for a short time it has been my experience that couples who are hard to deal with before the wedding do not get easier afterwards and are usually worse/find something to complain about/ask for a discount on/threaten to sue you. I haven't had the latter happen to me yet but I've definitely turned down clients before because I got a poor vibe from them.

Wow, do any other red flags exist? Indecisive, wants you to photograph like someone else, money problems, expecting discounts and favors, three hour Q&A sessions?. I?m not sure what else there is to scare a photographer away.

No question this person will be a nightmare to work with but...it's a Friday wedding and it's more cash in your pocket. You hold the cards, no compromises, no favors...no discount unless they give a deposit now. You will not please this person...don't try. It's a "do it for the money and hope for the best" deal. Poor attitude, maybe, but given her character and attitude toward you...who cares.

I know if I had this bride booked I wouldnt be looking forward to that wedding. Go with your instinct and cut the cord.

If your work is good - you should never devalue it by dropping your prices. I might add something in (say a DVD Slideshow - which costs me nothing but a few minutes of my time and a blank DVD) but never drop the price.