Decent film scanner

drew_back

What would be a good scanner for b/w negatives..I have a Hpscanjet 4070 but it

makes a lot of my scans look almost cartoonish and it locks up my computer when

scanning anything over 600resolution ..I dont want to spend a mint but is there

something a little better for a modest price??

Epson flatbeds. Say the 4490. As with any scanner, be sure it supports the Operating System you're using.

The real resolution of this scanner is somewhere between 1000 and 1500 pixels/inch. The optics aren't all that sharp. You may need to keep your negatives from not being too dense -- pull the film in exposure and processing.

You will see a lot of discussion on the Digital Darkroom forum. You do not specify format - the flatbeds will be a little challenged if you are trying to make large enlargements from 35mm. Conventional gelatin silver Black and white is a challenge for all scanners, because the individual grains that make up the image are opaque, and scanners don't like opaque. C-41 process films work best because the silver is replaced by dye. Next best are the thinner films, medium to slow. Fast films like Tri-X will challenge even a dedicated film scanner. Also, grain tends to be accentuated.

I have an Epson 4990 that I consider good for medium & large format, but not so good for 35mm, but I like to go to 12"x18" on prints. I have an older Minolta Dimage Scan Elite which is a pain to interface (SCSI) but does fairly well with medium to slow speed films convetional black-and-white films. An older film scanner may be a good option. 2900 ppi is pretty much required for 8"x10" or bigger.

You may also need to look at your computer - locking up may be a function of not enough memory. 2 gigs of memory are good if you are running Windows XP (or, presumably, Vista). The operating systems are resource hogs.

I have a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II film scanner purchased off the auction site, and it does fine for clean B&W negatives and slides without spots. For challenging 50-year-old negatives, the Minolta scans require a lot more clean-up in PS than do the Epson scans. However, the Epson does lose some fine detail.

Jim N.

Stephane,

You're a genius! But I tried this on the original scan and the result was not nearly as good.

Did you do anything else? I'd like to set up a PS action to "correct" the 4490 scans. Any

help appreciated.

Enjoyed viewing your images. Very nice.

Michael, thanks for the compliments, but no, I am not anything special. I have just spent a

few years scanning B&W film with different scanners. The highest resolution scanner I've

had was the Minolta 5400 first version. The lowest was the Epson Perfection Photo 3200.

Even that one was good enough to print great 10x10" and good 12"x12" from Rollei negs.

Now with my V750 I can print great 12x18" from 35mm.

I have abandoned the idea of a PhotoShop action. One image is not the other and the final

output has its importance too.

I'm afraid it is a case by case tuning affair.

I have a flat bed scanner (Canoscan D2400U) and I think the dynamic range on flatbed scanner is a limiting factor. Many dedicated film scanners have a range over 4.0 and the 3.2 of mine (and Bill's example) is too low to bring out details in the light and dark areas of a picture. Maybe other PN'ers can expand on this.

"Many dedicated film scanners have a range over 4.0"

Wrong. Most don't. Only the very expensive ones manage that. We are talking Imacon and drum scanners.

For negative films it does not matter a bit. The maximum density they can achieve is around 3 for silver B&W and 2.5 for dye C41.

Some slide films are problematic, most notably Kodachrome and Velvia 50 (the original). With those, multi-sampling can help a lot.

Stephane

One thing I could not do to your jpeg and that work remarkably well with low speed film

3200 dpi scans with the V750 is to apply 2 sharpening passes, each being 1 pixel radius at

120%. The result is simply unbelievable after having been brainwashed by the conventional

so-called wisdom that Epson scanners are worthless. I'll post one example.

Stephane