'quiet' digital P&S cameras

I believe that models sold in Japan MUST make a sound when you press the shutter. I remember reading that japanese were worried that pictures were being taken without the consent of the person being photographed and the major reason given was that these digital cameras, incl. cell phones did not emit a shutter sound. Your sales person might be right that in Japan ALL digital P&S and cell phones must emit a shutter sound.

I can not imagine that e.g. Canon make specific models of their P&S cameras just for Japan. Cameras where the option to turn off the camera sounds (it's a menu option) is deliberately left out.

All P&S I have used thus far have a menu option to turn the sounds off.

Thanks for the responses. I did spend a fair amount of time searching for the 'sound off' option.

Camera-cell phones in Japan all make noises when taking pictures, something all the manufacturers agreed to do for the Japan market. Seems it extends to P&S cameras as well.

BTW, Japanese manufacturers do make variations of their products for specific markets, and not just cameras. Another reason they're so successful.

Thanks again, everyone.