Sigma 30mm f/1.4 vs Canon 28mm f/1.8

erik_poirier

Hi,

Was looking for a prime lense for walkabouts... Any reviews compare the two

lenses? Has anybody compared them themselves? I've read so much stuff on these

two but have yet to find a head-to-head review and also have read tons of

contradicting stuff... Looking for a little insight. Thanks a bunch!

Erik

woops...i linked to the wrong lens

this is what i intended:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=320&sort=7&cat=38&page=1

I own a sigma 20MM 1.8, which I bought for astro-photography. Turns out it's not very sharp wide open, especially away from center.

If you're considering the Sigma, solely based on it being one stop faster, I'd recommend the Canon.

Not exactly a comparison but there are tests of both over at www.photozone.de. I got the Canon despite all the "bad" reviews. (I never considered the Sigma.) It performs really well if you learn how to work around some of its issues. As far as handling is concerned it feels just right on a 10/20/30/40D. It's built the way the 50/1.4 should be.

I have the Canon 28mm f/1.8 and mainly use it on my 40D for indoor low light shots. Compared to my Canon 17-85 zoom, the colors and sharpness are excellent, especially in the indoor low light (no flash). <p>

<p>

I just looked at some shots I took the other day with my 40D and my 3 Canon primes - 28, 50, and 85 (all f/1.8 lenses). The pictures were of the same setting - church balcony, kids up front doing a church play, available light. <p>

<p>

I would assess relative image quality as follows: Canon 85mm 1.8 was the best, with the 28 mm second, and the 50 mm third. Not a lot of difference between the three lens. All are more than acceptable to my amateur eye. I was just glad I could hand hold shoot at 1/125 sec and capture action on stage at ISO 800 and f stops in the f/2.2 to f/3.2 range. I would not have got the same quality shots with my 17-85 zoom.<p>

<p>

If you want a good place to compare the sigma to canon, I recommend:

<a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com" >here</a>

The Sigma probable has better corner sharpness (although I don't have this lens) but of course is no use with a full frame camera.

The 28/1.8 is very sharp in the centre but does have some CA, although this is easy to fix in Photoshop etc plus of course FF compatibility.

The AF action is fast and positive even by fire light (on a 20D, more recent bodies are probably even better). I found it to be well controlled for flare.

In real life the differences in sharpness are not going to notice that much unless you use the lenses on a tripod etc, specially not so important if you will use the lens for low light work.

I recommend the 28/1.8 for its handling (USM and FTMF), excellent centre sharpness and capability to be used with full frame and 1.3X crop sensors.

I went through four Sigma 30/1.4 and all of them had serious focus problems. I then bought the Canon 28/1.8 and I'm quite happy with it. Maybe it isn't the ideal lens for architecture on a full frame camera, but for street photography and as a fast normal lens on an APS camera, it's good.

On both crop and full frame cameras the 28 1.8 USM is an excellent piece of glass. Center sharpness is very good stopped down to f/2.2 and higher, though there is some corner sharpness lost throughout the aperture range (this is only noticed on full frame bodies.) The AF is as quick and accurate as the body you're using will allow. This lens is pretty much permanently mounted to my XT right now (in Iraq) - and does an excellent job as a walkaround.