Canon 70-200 F4L IS vs Canon 70-300 IS

joe_mahoney1

If you buy both the 70 200f/4 non is and the 70 300 IS which would be near the same price as the 70 200f/4 IS, you would have the benefit of having the quality of the L lens for portrait work or for a wedding. When I shoot a wedding 95% of the photos are taken with a flash so the not having 2.8 and IS is not a problem, although the 2.8 gives a better bokeh as long as you're accurate where you focus, but I'm happy with the f/4 bokeh and I haven't had any complaints yet. And the L lens would be good for animal shots in the right condition. Plus you would have the reach of the 300mm length and is IS, you wouldn't have to by the 1.4 converter. The 70 300 is perfect for the zoo or on holiday. Oh yeah you get 2 for the price of 1.Sorry but I thought all of that was obvious. Personally I'd buy the 70 200 f/4 later on I'd get the 1.4 TC, because what I shoot and the way I shoot I don't need the 2.8 or the IS...yet.

Well, I understand now but I disagree.

1. I disagree that an f/4 lens is suitable for portraits.

2. I disagree that buying a slow tele without IS is a good idea.

3. I disagree that buying two lenses with very similar focal lengths is a good idea.

We'll let the OP decide what is more suitable for him.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

A web site that I respect is the the digital picture,follow this link http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-4.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

This is one of the things they say about the f/4:

There are MANY uses for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens, but portrait photography is one of the best.....You will not find the IS version's image quality to be much better - Full frame corner sharpness is better on the IS lens until the end of the focal length range where they equal out. The f/4 version performs better than the IS lens with Canon Extenders when used at the 200mm setting

FWIW.....

1. In the 18 years I shoot I had quite a few lenses. In the tele end I had 85/1.8, 200/2.8, 70-200/4, 70-200/4 IS, 70-200/2.8, 70-200/2.8 IS, 70-300/4-5.6 IS and 300/4 IS.

2. I shoot a lot of portraits.

3. I expressed my opinion, knowing that other people's opinion may differ.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't understand you. you say you disagree with buying lenses of similar focal length but you have a 70-300 IS and one of the 70-200 lenses. I assume you sold the previous 70 200 lenses and now have the 70-200 2.8. So being that the 70-300 IS is a new lens did you swap your 70-200 2.8 and your 300 f4 IS for a 70-300 IS, or do you just collect lenses.