TX or FT-b?

craig_sander

Which Canon camera of the early 70's is more mechanical like the F-1?

I do a lot of long exposures with my AE-1P, and not only is it hard on the

battery, but its hard on the shutter release mechanism.

I'm looking for something that can hold up to repeated long exposures. Heck, I

don't even need to have a light meter on the camera.

The TX and FTb are really quite similar from a mechanical stand point. The TX lacks a few features of the FTb, however the shutter mechanism is nearly identical.

Honestly, though, with prices such as they are, I'd suggest that you go ahead and get the FTb. Some of the features, such as mirror lock up, can prove to be really valuable.

I have both of these in my collection. For most people the 1/1000 shutter speed on the FTb is the most useful feature not on the TX. I actually prefer the early FTb to the "FTbN." The earlier model seems more solidly built. Also, if you like to use the depth of field preview lever, the one on the original FTb is more comfortable to use. Two other complaints about the FTbN are the fact that the mechanism for showing the shutter speeds in the viewfinder isn't always working properly and that the small cover plate for the hot shoe is often missing. The EF is also noce but it's a completely different camera. It has a vertical metal shutter rather than a horizontal cloth shutter. It uses a silicon blue metering cell rather than a CdS cell. It takes either two 1.5 volt or two 1.35 volt PX-13 size batteries rather than one 1.35 volt PX-13 size battery.

If all you need is bulb, any of the mechanical Canons will do, in amlmost any condition. If you want to use it for other things too, might as well get the FTb with how dirt cheap they are these days. The only reason they need a battery is for the meter.

Hint: You can lock the shutter open by turning the shutter lock that is there to prevent accidental release. Use bulb, put a hat or a 4x5 box over the lens, open the shutter, lock it, and remove the hat or box to start the exposure. Put the hat or box back ad unlock the shutter. No need to use mirror lockup for this method either.

Keith

Yes; it does take all FD lenses. It takes FL lenses as well, and with the various (fairly rare) adapters made, it can take Nikon lenses as well as some others, if my memory serves me correctly. I know that with a series of adapters you can rig an FL or FD lens to mount to LTM, but not sure which other adapters were made to mount other lenses on the Canon SLR bodies, other than the Nikon one ("N" adapter).

Keith