580EX II - is it only me ?

les

Is it only me who thinks that 580EX II controls are a bit illogical (I wanted to

use the word "screwed up", but this would be a bit too harsh) ?

Example: press ZOOM for 2 seconds - this enables the wheel to select the OFF

mode (which in fact is on-camera flash mode, MASTER or SLAVE. Select MASTER.

Now the fun begins: pressing ZOOM cycles through 1) Zoom (manual or auto), 2)

RATIO (OFF, A:B or A:B:C), 3) Channel selection, 4) FLASH ON/OFF and 5) Exit.

When 1) to 4) is selected, the change is executed by rotating the wheel and

pressing Set/Sel, which sets the parameter and also causes the flash to 5) Exit.

So far so good.

But the sequence can be also terminated without changing the parameter by simply

pressing Sel/Set, and the flash remembers this - so when Zoom button is pressed

again, the sequence does not start from 1), but from where the sequence was

interrupted. To me it is illogical.

Furthermore, when in Master mode with Ratio A:B set, pressing Sel/Set enters the

sequence of Flash Exposure Compensation, Flash Exposure Bracketing, and Ratio

A:B. Why Ratio A:B, if the ratio can be set simply by rotating the wheel without

activating the above sequence (with Sel/Set button) ? This is simply redundant

and confusing.

So, why does the flash remembers where the sequence 1) to 5) was terminated (if

terminated with Sel/Set button) ? Exiting the sequence should be done either

with Sel/Set button, or by cycling Zoom button, but not both. And why Ratio A:B

can be set with or without pressing Sel/Set button ?

I know there is no much point in complaining about things which can't be changed

- but I really wished that a bit more logic was used when designing interface.

Or is it only me ?

I own both the 580 and the 580 II.

Overall, I think the 580EX II is a winner.

The settings seem the same to me except for the:

1. ft/meters change Now a custom function Zero

2. The Master/Slave switch which I believe the biggest downfall as it doesn't always remember the last settings when the batteries are changed.

3. The strobe recycling noise no longer exists. Which doesn't bother me either way. Some people like the noise so they know when it's chanrged without looking at the light.

4. The zoom head sounds different which I think it sounds "Really Cool" now.

5. The battery door is a definate improvement

6. People have complained that the sync port can not be used to trigger another device, just can be used to trigger the flash. (A uni-directional sync port?)

On smaller notes, I think the carry case is "tougher" and uses velcro instead of snaps which I like I Think.

I've learned that I check the settings of all my flashes now when I use them because it pays to be sure...

-Mario

I'm use to the controls for the Original 580EX.

I like it and may sell off one of my old ones for a new model.

The locking mechanism is enough that I like the new model.

I had accidently not tightened enough on the old model and played a juggling routine when it bumped off the stand.

-Mario

Oh, it's not just you. I hate those soft key designs. I guess they are trying to cut down on the number of buttons. It is difficult to remember those sequences. For an imporant shoot, I actually bring the book with me (just in case) and I re-watch my blue crane video and practice a few days before. I quess I haven't had it long enough to really have it down pat.

Since I'm used to the 550, the 580II seems unduly complex. I like the 550 sliders for choosing master or slave, and I like the easy choice of battery saver or not. I got the 580 because I thought the wheel would simplify using it as the master, but I now have doubts. I agree the controls seem illogical at this point, but I'm hoping experience will help. It also seems I have to memorize what the custom functions do with no "on screen" help. Since I'll likely be changing them more than the 550, that won't be a thrill. (I do really like the new locking lever over the wheel)

I always dialed in at least a minus one third for straight flash with the 550(and much more for fill) and now it seems a bit dark with the 580 so I'm trying no minus exposure. I can't figure that out as the camera is supposed to control the flash duration from the pre-flash determination, but the exposure seems different(or is that just my love for the consistency of E-TTL?).

I am not talking about the fact that the controls are different: also, not about the fact that each button has a multitude of functions. But - Sel/Set button appears to have a redundant setting assigned - which does precisely nothing, apart from flashing the RATIO icon. This implies that some function/setting is available - while in fact it is not.

Also, when there is more than one way to achieve the same thing - like cycling through the button sequence to exit submenu, or using Sel/Set button - this is redundant and unnecessary.

Also, flash remembering the sequence on EXIT is unnecessary - as it causes the ZOOM button to behave differently when used the next time - at least it creates this impression by starting the cycle from a different submenu function.

Small things - but annoying. Generally, this is my impression that designers of electronic gizmos/software are becoming more and more sloppy...

Savas - if you've got a 40D, 1D3, or 1Ds3 you can change 580EX II flash settings via the camera.

Don't get too put off - most of what's been discussed above only pertains to using the 580EX II as a Wireless Master - other (more common functions) like FEC are dead easy - and yet other functions llike autozoom, ETTL are fully automatic. Just because it has a zillion functions doesn't mean to say that you need to know and use each one :)