Plese help: Leica R8 back makes noise when gripping the camera.

elmar001

Hello,

My R8 has a weird noise when I press against the back on the left side and

along the bottom. It is kind of a rubbing or squeeking noise, and the back

seems to move or flex a bit. It is very distracting when concentrating on a

shot. It doesn't seem to do it when the camera has no film in it. Has anyone

else with an R8 noticed this? Any help appreciated.

Lawrence Christopher

My R9 back has the same problem - a slight creaking when pressing the back with a film in the camera. I think the foam around the film window in the back is pressing against the film canister and preventing the back from fitting flush against the body.

It hasn't affected my photos so I'm not worried about it.

Thanks everyone. It just seems funny that an expensive camera would be built like that. My R4 bodies are very tight where the back fits, there is no flexing or movement whatsoever. I will just turn the stereo up a little, as they say. P.S. I did find that pushing the back UP makes it stop the noise. It must be rubbing along the bottom seal.

L.C.

I use both the R8 and R9.

If I press hard enough on the left edge of the door, I can ear a very slight noise. Never

done this before in a quiet room listening for it, so never noticed it.

I suspect Leica designed the door and frame tolerances to allow for positive latching

without changing the shape of the door when it latches and the user releases pressure on

the door.

Not the same issue, but I did have to send my R9 in to Leica USA due to a faint light leak

through the film cassette display window. They fixed it and CLA'd the body; it's been

flawless since then.

I've had no problems whatsoever with the fit or latching of the door on either body and

have never really notice the "little noise" until I tried it, having read your post.

I'm thinking that if your're getting good negatives from the body you're good to go until

something starts showing up in your negs.

Bob