Olympic Coast/Cascades/Mount Hood in mid to late December

younes

I am getting a chance to fly to Seattle in the next couple of weeks and was

wondering if I should extend my stay by a few days to go out for a shoot. How

are the conditions at this time of the year? Is it worth my while? (Note that I

live in Canada, so the cold is not an obstacle )? Any other places I should

consider?. Thanks for your input.

I would try and hit the Olympic coast but timing (luck?) is everything. Before and after winter storms you can have wonderful lighting in the p.m. Yesterday's "pineapple express" does not happen very often but it closes many roads. Be prepared.

It is generally dark and rainy this time of year. Many of the scenic areas in the Olympic range may be closed due to weather. I've found spring to be much more forgiving and providing wonderful opportunities for shooting. If you want city/stret/market shots anytime will do. Take a fast lens and you'll have a blast.

Right now a major storm has just passed. Interstate 5 is closed South of Olympia, Grays Harbor County is isolated by flooding, fallen trees, and downed power lines, there's water over roads everywhere, even East of Seattle, avalanches killing people in the pass near Interstate 90.

Its been pretty hairy out here Younes, even in southwestern BC. Two days after leaving that comment on your photo about not missing the eastern Ontario winters it snowed about a foot. Now the rains have been falling for two days causing some major flooding. Pacific winter storms can be impressive sights though so maybe it would be a good idea to wait until late winter/early spring.