Just found out that whenever I select Tv, Av and P mode on my 20D, the

metering is stuck at -2 on the scale as shown on the LCD as well as through

the viewfinder. It is stuck there no matter what I do and when I took a

picture, it is indeed under-exposed as indicated by the metering. However,

when I set it to M, it works ok. This is the first problem I encountered with

this camera since I bought it some 3 years back. I would like to know if

anyone of you have encounter such problem and suggest what I can do to rectify

this glitch. I just hope its nothing major that I need to send it back to

Canon for repair. Appreciate any help from you guys out there. Thank you.

Regards, Tim

Turn the power switch to the 2nd setting above "on." Tap the shutter button. While metering

is still active rotate the QCD (big round dial on the back) until the ruler scale on the LCD

reads "0."

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Similar problem on new never used Canon XTi. I check a lot of chat on internet, asked experts, but nothing similar found, and no any answer. Basic Zone everything O.K., but on Creative Zone Modes P, Tv, Av & M. Aperture, or Shutter speed or can not be controled. Tv Mode - Turning Main Dial to the right or to the left Shutter speeds are changed one by one value from faster to slower values only until reaches 30" value, and stay blocked. For example if first reading shows Shutter speed 1/250, when main dial is turned next Shutter speed is 1/60, then 1/30, then 1/15 and so on one by one......untill reach 33",( flashing or showing that is overexposured, but do not allow you to change it in right directions ). Av, M or P Mode - The same or similar problem. My Warranty it look not walid. Camera couldn't be inspected on time, so can not be returned, authorised service center in USA do not give me any suport. For 30 days can not get anybody, no any answer on email. Im my country ( warranty not walid)told me send camera and after 20-30 days will be inspected ( too many of them on service),then wait for spare part, then wait,..and so on...This will not help you, but i will let you know if found solutions. Regards,Dino

Thanks guys for the fast response but unfortunately, I have already tried all the above suggestions but nothing works. The meter reading is still stuck at -2 no matter what I do when the setting is on P, Tv and Av. Dino, looks like we are facing the facing the same problem here. It seems like the metering is not completely faulty since it works perfectly while in M mode. I hope someone from this forum will be able to give us a solution to overcome this problem.

If the the CE ruler reads -2, then your EC needs to be reset. Since you tried the above and it

doesn't work, it probably means your camera is broken and needs service. I'd try a total reset

before visiting Canon Service (flush out the PRAM--remove backup & main batteries & let sit

an hour or so). Fixes my cellphone everytime!

Incidentally, the -2 reading you see isn't "the meter." It's the Exposure Compensation Scale.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

The EC compensation pointer only moves when you have half pressed the shutter to take a reading - before that, if set at -2 it will remain at -2. Try the half press and then try the adjustment - works this way on my 30D in Av, Tv and P.

Puppy Face, you are a saint! I just did a total reset and walla, what do you know, everything works like a gem! Thanks a million and you suggestion has just save me a trip to Canon Service and a fee for doing a total reset. Dino, if you are reading this, pls do the same, it might solve your problem! It did on mine! Thanks again guys for saving the day!

Tim Kong wrote : " The meter reading is still stuck at -2 no matter what I do when the

setting is on P, Tv and Av."

Then : " I just did a total reset and walla, what do you know, everything works like a gem! "

Tim, It's almost certain that you were trying to move the QCD but had NOT pressed the

exposure button 1/2 way. (As suggested : "Tap the shutter button. While metering is still

active rotate the QCD (big round dial on the back)...") The QCD will ONLY alter the

exposure compensation for a few seconds after pressing the exposure button. This is

often not appreciated by those who've not had the problem and the manual is also not real

clear on it.

Just in case it happens again, or to someone else who reads this