D3 and D300 firmware update

walterh

Hummm,

help me here. So these would be added to the camera's programming & I'd get the D2XMODE1, D2XMODE2 & D2XMODE3 added in my menus in my camera?

Have I got it right? I have a bad headache or rather what I refer to as "heavy head" & logical thinking is not my strong side....

Anyhow, someone please think for me & let me know.

Thanks

Lil

If I never had a DX2, would these settings mean anything to me? Are they just a "shortcut" to something I could configure myself with the current menu settings to acheive some special color temp/lighting/ISO/etc? Or is there something unique about the DX2 settings that make this worthwhile to install?

Ny understanding is that these are for use by "pros" who may not have time to configure the

D3/D300 to match the output of their D2Xs. It is a short-term short-cut until they "learn"

the new camera(s). I may not have the details right, but tat is the basic idea.

Regardless, it is not a firmware update.

Used to be, you got three options for color space. Mode I, II, and III. Usually mode I was sRGB, Mode II was Adobe RGB, and Mode III was sRGB with more emphasis on the color green.

The D200 expanded on this and let users choose three modes, and within each mode, select another bias. For example, for Adobe RGB, the user could select the bias (usually based on contrast).

The D300 now only has two choices, sRGB and Adobe RGB. I suspect they are trying to give new D300 users coming from the D2 cameras a more familiar way to configure color. In other words, this isn't a change in color control, just another way to get there.

Right now I haven't decided if I want to install this on my D300. I'm pretty happy with the default Adobe RGB settings.

Dave, thanks for clarifying. Now I understand. With the excitement of getting the D300 and I

hadn't even noticed it was missing an option. Guess I didn't use it on the D2Xs. :-)

Regards,

Doug

PS - and, no, we are not related unless you had a great uncle Harvey Lee from Illinois.

Douglas,

My Lee family came from mainly Minnesota and North Dakota, also some went north to Saskatachewan. They all came over from Norway before 1900, their original name was Lien but it got changed. Who knows maybe we're distant cousins?