robert_thommes

I currently use a 300D, and have been quite happy with it over the years. But

I'm now thinking about the 350XT; as the price is certainly right at the

moment. And cost is of concern. I'm aware of the upgrades inherent in the

350D over the 300D, but have 2 concerns. The 400D is known to have a better

focusing mechanism for use with faster lenses. How important is this? Will my

2.8 lens NOT work with the 350D? It seems to do OK on my current 300D. And,

I've heard that of the 3 XXXD cameras, the 350D tends to blow the hightlights a

bit more than the other 2. How serious is this?

I'm quite set on the 350D if I can get past these two issues. So please

comment on them if you would, especially if you were a former 300D(such as

myself) user. Thanks

As you know, the 350XT has now long been 'superseded'. <br>Of course your 2.8 lens will work with it, but have you actually handled one?<br>It is noticeably smaller and it could be too small for your hands/grip.<p>The 300D was my first DSLR and I always enjoyed using it, but after moving to a 20D and 5D, I now only carry it as an emergency backup body. <br>Any current DSLR model will be so much 'faster' than your 300D. You won't believe the difference!<br>Given the choice, depending on your budget, I would look at a second hand 20D/30D over a 350XT. <br>Just one more opinion...

Your f/2.8 will work with the 350D. How much do you shoot at f/2.8, and how much do you require quick AF? If a camera consistently blows highlights, you could always consistently have Ev compensation "dialed in" to make up for the difference. If those are really the only issues, I don't think you need to worry.

M Barbu,

I'm thinking that the 350 would do me just fine. The extra bells and whistles of the 400D(and beyond), just don't seem all that important to me or worth that extra $200. Still, I don't want to do anything stupid, or miss any important consideration in those other cameras.

Peter, I'm pretty set on purchasing a NEW camera. I'm not at all opposed to buying used lenses, but want a new camera.

I think you'll find that the autofocus of the 400d is quite a step up from the 350d, in ability to lock onto lower contrast subjects, to focus reasonably in low light, and in precision when you're using a faster lens (f/2.8 or larger maximum aperture).

To me, the upgraded autofocus module in the 400d is one of its most important advantages over the 350d.

I upgraded from the 300D to a 350D some time ago and did not regret it. The image quality of the 350D is better in terms of colour and detail. The smaller size of the 350D was an advantage from the point of view of travel, though the veiwfinder is a bit smaller which is useable but somewhat annoying. The functionality of the 350D is also much better, in that it is not crippled the way the 300D was. AF, metering options, and FEC are fully available and the buffer is much larger.

If you are happy with the 350D go for it, but perosnally I would want the 400D mainly for its larger LCD or the 450D for its viewfinder and live view.

<p><i>I currently use a 300D, and have been quite happy with it over the years. But I'm now thinking about the 350XT; as the price is certainly right at the moment. And cost is of

concern. </i>

<p>I used a 350D for three years and it can take absolutely fine photographs. The results will be, in many ways, indistinguishable from those on the newer Rebel bodies.

<p>That said, the cost difference to get a 400D - especially once the newer 450D/XSi hits the shelves in a few weeks - is likely to be quite small. It is already as little as $100 more

or so to get the 400D. While the 350D is fine, the 400D is enhanced in enough ways that I really think it is worth the extra cost if you can swing it.

<p><i>I'm aware of the upgrades inherent in the 350D over the 300D, but have 2 concerns. The 400D is known to have a better focusing mechanism for use with faster lenses. How

important is this? </i>

<p>It depends a lot on what and how you shoot. If you mostly shoot in good light and aren't shooting super fast moving subjects I doubt that you'll notice any difference. However

- and here is another reason to see if you can get the 400D - the 400D picked up the autofocus system from the 30D.

<p><i>Will my 2.8 lens NOT work with the 350D? It seems to do OK on my current 300D. </i>

<p>Any Canon EF lens will work just fine on the 350D or 400D, etc.

<p><i>And, I've heard that of the 3 XXXD cameras, the 350D tends to blow the hightlights a bit more than the other 2. How serious is this? </i>

<p>Having used the 350D for two years, I wouldn't worry about that. I never noticed any particular difference in that regard. In fact, I have to worry about this with my 5D. It is more

a matter of understanding how to expose digital images than a matter of some camera flaw. Not an issue.

<p><i>I'm quite set on the 350D if I can get past these two issues. So please comment on them if you would, especially if you were a former 300D(such as myself) user.</i>

<p>To summarize. the 350D should create any problems for you - it is a fine little camera. However, if you can swing just a bit more for a 400D, I think that there is enough extra

there to warrant the cost.

<p>Good luck!

<p>Dan